Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Michiganders !

Unlike Opa who actually has a plan for putting up Christmas Lights outdoors (when it's warmer
thumbsup.gif
) today we're putting up the lights. Next, getting the Christmas cards ready to go, decorating the bathrooms - I know that's a little strange - and then watching the SEC championship. Still need to get brussel sprouts and the last of the turnips harvested, they should be plenty sweet by now.

Yesterday 2 hens were out of the chicken yard and in the wild wetland area, a speckled sussex and a welsummer. The sussex came to me when I clucked at her, the wellie ran the other way, so typical. After 20 minutes of cajoling, clucking, and trying to herd her with a stick all the while dressed in my work clothes (complete with full length wool coat and heels) I was getting nowhere and it was getting darker and darker. Kellogg, the wellsummer rooster came out of the coop, strutted over and crowed. That darn hen, FLEW onto a branch about 8 feet away from the chicken yard then launched herself over the fence, leaving me standing in the weeds.
barnie.gif
The happy couple proceeded up to the coop, rooster in the lead and hen following close behind.
smile.png

Have a good day, y'all.

Good Morning!

Off to get some cookies at the store so I can drop them off at church. Fowlerville is having a parade and our church is having a float and passing out cookies. They requested homemade, but I don't have the time, so store bought bakery cookies will have to do.

Have a great weekend!

Sarah

Quote:
Uh Oh! We call those "Cheater Cookies"...I've been catching my Grandma with those!
gig.gif

I am afraid I have spoiled my girls.
They come running right up to my feet when I go outside.
They will now eat the goodies I give them (they LOVE bananas!) While I am right there and while Missy, our Yorkie mix is right there!
They also run to the gate when Tweek comes home from work.

Are chickens related to dogs?
lol.png

Celia
2 Spoiled brahma hens!

Quote:
No, they are related to pigs. Fat, feathered pigs!

Mine seem to favor whatever costs the most! Grapes are the favorite, don't think I will try banana$! I tried to get the produce Kroger was throwing out, but they won't let you take it (I think because they are afraid they might get sued if it made someone sick . . . what a waste of good animal food!)

Last edited:
Quote:
In Texas when I was growing up, my folks always got the Safeway produce for the critters. They just put it in a dumpster in the back of the store. Times have changed, not always for the better! Too much waste!
somad.gif

Celia

URGENT! Due to health problems, I have to get rid of all of my chickens. After working for 6 years to produce a decent breeding pen, my doctor tells me the chickens have to go as do the cigaretts. I have a black mottled roo and his 14 ladies. The girls are all blue, black or splash and from mottled breeding. the oldest are 2 years old and the youngest are this years hatches from May and June. Last years june hatch is in there too. I have kept only the best to make this breeding pen. I will give the chickens away for free. Whom ever takes the chickens has to take all of them plus 2 extra roos from this years hatch. I only ask that you pay for 3 50# bags of Purina Layena that will go with the chickens. You can do what you want with the chickens, sell them or keep them for breeding. All of these birds originate from birds from Shari, Harvest Breeze. I actually bought the chicks from Melanie of Fluf-n-Stuff and they were from birds she bought from Sheri. They have to go soon as each trip to the barn gets harder and harder for me.
I live in Springport, 49284. If you are intereste please contact me. Phone 517-857-4124, email [email protected] or reply to this message. You deffinately won't get this good a bred chicken for a better price. OH! by the way, they are bantam cochins.
Thanks,
Gayle aka Frizzledhen

Got my lights installed for heat and daylight! So NOW they will hopefully start laying. What time do most of you have your lights go off and on? Or does it really matter as long as it's a good amount of time? I get up and outside by 8am everyday at the latest and it's light out by then and then I'm home before it gets dark so maybe leave lights on until 10pm? What do you think?
big_smile.png

It's better if you put a timer on and have your lights come on earlier in the AM. If you just turn them off at 10pm, or anytime after dark, the chickens will be caught off guard and may not be on the roost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom