Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we had a chicken spend the night in our heated garage in a cat carrier. She is still alive so that is great! There are 2 possiblities for her injuries.
One- something tried to attack her or
Two- she put her head somewhere she shouldn't of!
The hen ripped part of her comb off (flour works great at stopping bleeding) Then while giving her a bath- amazing how far blood flys when a hen shakes her head
sickbyc.gif

I noticed a wound on each side of her head, by her earlobes.

So she is dry this morning...Rachel will be taking her out to a seperate pen til her wounds heal.

Have a great day everyone!
Sarah

Quote:
Poor thing!

For some reason our neigbor's GC rooster would occasionally start bleeding from his comb and with his whitish feathers it looked worse than it was. Never did find out how he bleed though. She examined him and couldn't find any cuts.

I feel so bad for that chicken
sad.png

My girls will not come out of the covered run/coop. This is their first snow. They will get used to it, right?
hmm.png

Celia
2 Brahma hens and a Yorkie

Celia, they might get used to it. Seems like they won't have a choice since this is Michigan. It took my chickens three days before they decided to venture out in the snow. They still look at me like it's my fault that the cold white stuff is covering their yard.... "how dare I do that!"
tongue.gif

Last year the chickens I had refused to go out in it. I only have 2 left out of that flock and now they will go out but they are also the first to go back in.

Quote:
today i slept in late and didn't let the girls out til 1030a. they were all, let me get the heck outta here.. they didn't care about the snow (though not as much as you got) they just ran to the feeder which is in the driveway.

Wanda

Hi!! New here! I am in Michigan...Dundee to be exact with about 100 birds! We went to TSC about a year and a half ago and brought home 6 chicks!! Now were overrun. 2 peacocks,call ducks,muscovies,pekins...turkeys and a multitude of purebred and mutt chickens!!

Mine don't seem to have too much issue with the snow (also their first year)... I think the cold in generals got them wanting to stay in the coop (esp with a heat lamp on for the younger chicks that hatched this fall) Remind me never to let my hens go broody at the end of summer! They're not happy that I've locked them in their secure run until the culprit that killed 2 can be determined and dealt with.

I think we decided to convert our 12x16 shed in to the rabbitry and move my garden work benches out to the shed dormer we originally planned for rabbits. I would have more room, better shelter for them and we'll custom make bigger cages as well. win win!

I decided to call my Rabbitry "Fat Rabbit Farms"
fatrabbit3.jpg
This is the logo I came up with, does it look like a rabbit? My friend couldn't see it.

Quote:
not to far as the crow flies!
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

(Hopefully you weren't in the path of the twister that stormed through Dundee..what a mess!!!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom