Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
clap.gif
Exactly. (And just for the record...I've never seen Food, Inc....it is in my queue though! lol!)

Don't worry y'all, I'm a tough cookie. ;)

Sick and sad about those horses! I can't believe that!

Kimmie said something that I totally agreed with too...can't find it though now.

I'm off until tonight...more pallets to tear apart! I need to get this ducky house done!
(And didn't I mention yet that I'm pretty sure I have at least one duck!
wee.gif
How different do duck eggs taste from chicken eggs?)

Duck eggs are richer. Some of my customers say they are a little thicker/rubberier for scrambled or fried eggs but I don't notice it. BF uses them to make bread because it makes them fluffier and tastier.

Most of my duck egg customers buy them because someone in their family has dairy allergies. Those that have dairy allergies can eat duck eggs with no problems. I also have a man that comes from pretty far away to buy all my chicken and duck eggs for a week because his daughter is a baker.

Some one please tell me why chicken eggs are a dairy product? I have never understood this. I have a friend who says she can not eat eggs because they are a dairy product. I asked her What the heck she was talking about, there is no milk in them... She said, they an in the dairy case, so must be dairy... Now, Keyt says that... Well anyway, I almost want to say that if eggs are dairy, then shouldn't the cow itself be more dairy? Ok, forget it. I haven't had much sleep and I could possibly turn this whole thing it to a big frumpakabus and then where would we all be? More cornfused then ever and trying to milk a chicken. Can you milk a pigeon?

Last edited:
Dairy products are ONLY those products that are made from the milk of mammals. Being lactose intolerant or having dairy allergies does not prevent one from consuming eggs. The misconception arises due to the fact that eggs are located in the same refrigerated area as dairy products.

Dairy allergies have nothing to do with one's ability to eat chicken eggs. I'm allergic to dairy -- no, not just lactose intolerant actual allergies -- and have no problem whatsoever. If someone is allergic to both dairy and chicken eggs, that would be two separate allergies.

That said, the mind is a powerful thing. My mother still insists that bantam egg don't give her heartburn, but that she'll be in pain for days if she eats eggs from large fowl chickens... both her birds, both raised in the same pen/coop, both fed the same feed, both using the same nest boxes... but the bantam eggs don't give her heartburn.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Hey -- hugs to everybody! Lots of hugs!
It's hot and dry and I have poison ivy (aren't you glad I'm giving internet hugs?) and my brother has cancer and my cat yakked on the carpet in five different places last night and I'm cranky.
I'll pass on the hug if you don't mind.
I will send you a
hugs.gif
though, after poison ivy is gone. Prayers for your brother. Hope all goes well.

Need Help Please! I have searched BYC for about three hours. I haven't been able to find anything on if what I call >choke cherries< harmful to my chickens. We have never had a choke cherry tree at any of our other houses. When we had chickens or ducks. This tree is about 15 feet from the front of my coop and when I let the girls out they went right to eating the cherries, the rain knocked out of the tree last night.

You can make jelly, jams, pies, syrup and wine from choke cherries.
I also like the spring honey from bees who visit the choke cherry blossoms.

Whew. Had a close call with that hawk this afternoon.
Seems my absence the last 2 days had not gone unnoticed............ (shopping the day before for suit)
I almost could've got him with a broom, he was that close to me. Had my hens not trusted me, and gotten behind me, i could not have saved them today. The door to the run had gotten blown shut by the wind, so while the hens in the coop area dove under the camper and in the scrub brush in the corner of the run, the orpington and the 2 month old EE's were left stuck between me and the door trying to get in while i screamed and waved around like a mad woman trying to keep the hawk from swooping; he hovered right there for a good 5 seconds...........
He wasn't impressed, and i don't think next time i will be much of a deterrent without something in hand. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom