Miniature Muscovies?

HeritageGoose13

Songster
Apr 24, 2015
A lot of people like muscovies but don't like their large size. So I was wondering, why aren't there miniature muscovies? It seems like breeding down their size would be a fairly easy breeding project. I'm actually surprised no one has done it yet. What do you think? Would you be interested in mini-muscovies?

I'm guessing it's more because there's not as big of a market for it compared to the mallard derived breeds.

The majority of the people in my area raise them strictly for meat purposes. A small bird wouldn't be beneficial in their case.

It also seems a lot of animals turned "mini' are for the "cute" factor. While I personally find scovies to be absolutely adorable the general consensus I've came across is that most just don't find the look of Muscovies appealing mostly due to their caruncles,

I believe the lack of genetic diversity plays a role in this as well. While mallard derived breeds could be mixed with one another to decrease their size over generations this isn't an option with the Muscovies. You'd basically have to breed the smallest bird you can find with another smaller bird and hope for the best. While in theory this could work you're also opening up pandora's box for genetic issues when you're potentially breeding inferior specimens to one another.

Its sort of a project of mine to study breeds of animals and domestication, and mini muscovies sound awesome!

Here are some of the complications, however, behind the project:
For a healthy breed to be developed, you need to have a large starting group so that the genetics remain varied and they don't become inbred, which can lead to weakness, short lifespans and sterility.

Secondly, breeding the smallest to the smallest is often done by selecting the runts, which means you are breeding the weakest individuals, the opposite of survival of the fittest, which means you would be selecting for animals more prone to disease.

It would take a long time, and a lot of people don't have the patience to wait the years it takes to create a stable new breed. Many people do it, but they put a lot of dedication and passion into it. It takes a person who loves what they are doing.

Still, the idea sounds really cool. It would create muscovies that would be good broodies, meat birds, and pets but not be loud like ducks and not as dangerous (with their claws), messy, or take up as much space as their full sized counterparts.

Small animals can be bred naturally, as happens in the wild when animals become trapped on an island and adapt to be small. This is how many of the miniature breeds of pigs, ponies, and even some of the dogs and sheep came into existence. These breeds are very hardy, usually with few health problems, and often very self sufficient on farms.

Best of luck to you.
smile.png

It'll take decades to accomplish what you desire, but best of luck. If you ever fins success let me know, I've often thought about trying my hand at creating a line of miniature runners, LOL!

The point about runts is a good one. I realize no breeding project is easy that's why I said "relatively." It's also a good point that miniatures are often bred to be cute and muscovies aren't cute according to most people. I just thought I would throw the idea out there. I was wondering the other day if muscovies would one day be broken into breeds rather than just colors/varieties, and miniatures popped into my head as the first possibility.

The point about runts is a good one. I realize no breeding project is easy that's why I said "relatively." It's also a good point that miniatures are often bred to be cute and muscovies aren't cute according to most people. I just thought I would throw the idea out there. I was wondering the other day if muscovies would one day be broken into breeds rather than just colors/varieties, and miniatures popped into my head as the first possibility.
Got a muscovy runt right now, and it's definitely not something I want in the gene pool, lol. Wrong end pip even though it was incubated under a hen, couldn't stand for several days and had to be tube fed, once it could stand, it wouldn't eat. Wanna buy it? Just kidding
wink.png

-Kathy

Last edited:

my brother raises muscovies and some are super tiny while their parents are normal the female offspring are only slightly bigger than a mallard and the mle offspring are alot larger thn the average male.

Back
Top Bottom