Miniature Muscovies?

Great pictures.

Something else I was thinking of:

I was looking at muscovy x mallard crosses.

Muscovy drake x mallard hen: mule duck.

Mallard drake x muscovy hen: hinny.

Hinnies are always infertile, but apparently in very rare cases male mule ducks can be fertile. What I am wondering is: are these mule drakes fertile to mallards, muscovies or both? These rare fertile drakes could be used to make new breeds, right? You would have a huge new potential, as far as genetics go, by mixing these species... assuming fertility did not decrease with each generation or something like that.

I know the cayuga is rumored to have American Black duck ancestry, which I believe because of the lack of drake feathers common in the breed. Also, I read that the Australian Spotted has ancestry of some unknown wild duck and Northern Pintail. Wild mallard x pintails are rare, but I don't know if that is because it is difficult to achieve genetically or if their habitats/mating habits naturally prevent this.

Great pictures.

Something else I was thinking of:

I was looking at muscovy x mallard crosses.

Muscovy drake x mallard hen: mule duck.

Mallard drake x muscovy hen: hinny.

Hinnies are always infertile, but apparently in very rare cases male mule ducks can be fertile. What I am wondering is: are these mule drakes fertile to mallards, muscovies or both? These rare fertile drakes could be used to make new breeds, right? You would have a huge new potential, as far as genetics go, by mixing these species... assuming fertility did not decrease with each generation or something like that.

I know the cayuga is rumored to have American Black duck ancestry, which I believe because of the lack of drake feathers common in the breed. Also, I read that the Australian Spotted has ancestry of some unknown wild duck and Northern Pintail. Wild mallard x pintails are rare, but I don't know if that is because it is difficult to achieve genetically or if their habitats/mating habits naturally prevent this.
I have a bunch of quacker/muscovy crosses and so far none are fertile.

-Kathy

Oh, I see. That's nice that you're doing school work on an interesting subject. Everything I learned in school was useless!

FYI, the one with the bacterial infection was treated and caught up to the rest of her siblings.

-Kathy

YYYYYYES!!!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom