minimum chick purchase in New York State

Mcse4u

Chirping
Apr 2, 2017
Apalachin, NY
There is a law in NYS that you must purchase at least 6 chicks if they are under 8 weeks old. I assume this is to prevent people from giving one chick as a gift to a kid for Easter. However, I was really only planning to start my new backyard chicken hobby with 4 chicks. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the local Tractor Supply or Agway stores to sell me just 4 chicks, if I show them the receipts for the coop I just bought, and all the materials for a hen house?
I was even thinking, heck, at only $4 each, I'll be happy to pay for 6 and only take 4. Think that would work?

Some places will let you, others wont..

I'd look for smaller hardware or feed stores and try. That law is in most, if not all states - but local 'True Value' Hardware stores here get chicks, and many will let you buy less than 6..

There is a law in NYS that you must purchase at least 6 chicks if they are under 8 weeks old. I assume this is to prevent people from giving one chick as a gift to a kid for Easter. However, I was really only planning to start my new backyard chicken hobby with 4 chicks. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the local Tractor Supply or Agway stores to sell me just 4 chicks, if I show them the receipts for the coop I just bought, and all the materials for a hen house?
I was even thinking, heck, at only $4 each, I'll be happy to pay for 6 and only take 4. Think that would work?
Where do you live? I am looking for a town in the southern tier that allows backyard chickens. How do you find out?

Back
Top Bottom