Minnesota!

Hi, I'm new to chickens:)

I'm in Wright County MN~ anyone nearby? We're south of St.Cloud, but north of the Twin Cities.

I just got 4 chickens this week. I'm scared about the temperature swings we'll experience this first year, hoping my coop is good enough to keep them warm, without keeping them too warm.

Welcome Jalen:

Wintering chickens is something to wrap your head around for sure. Preparations in the fall will make your life easier for wintering.

I live in Northern MN and if all your chicks are girls (with smaller combs) frostbite shouldn't be an issue. Most hens will tuck their heads in their wing when sleeping in the cold. If you've got some Roos with Single comb variety you may be more at risk with the cold. You'll want 2x4 roosts to allow them to cover all their feet with their feathers...and make sure their roosts are no higher than 18-24 inches off the floor if they are standard or heavy breeds especially. Injured toes are prone to frostbite and loss as well. You'll need to keep open water: Heated dog bowls or chicken waterers work great. Myself: I used a homemade cookie tin heater (super cheap to make) to keep the water open. My coop last winter was insulated only in the roof and I used a 75 watt bulb most of the time in the coop for a bit of warmth but went to the heat lamp when the 20-30 below stuff hit. It just went on and on last winter and I could tell it wore on them even though they came out okay in the end. Or maybe I worried a bit too much.
hmm.png
I'd let them out of the coop if the temps were above 0--usually by noon on most days. It was my first winter with them and I learned so much...not sure what I'll do different this year.

I used to live off of HWY 15 near Beaver Lake for a few years (North of Kimball)--South Haven. Wow that's been 10 years ago already!

Well any hoo welcome to BYC and this nice Minnesota thread. There's others on here that might chime in on what they do for wintering chickens I'm sure.

Best~ Amy

I'm in Wright County MN~ anyone nearby? We're south of St.Cloud, but north of the Twin Cities.

I just got 4 chickens this week. I'm scared about the temperature swings we'll experience this first year, hoping my coop is good enough to keep them warm, without keeping them too warm.
How old are they?
Welcome to the group!
And to your new obsession ;)

We live in Prior Lake..Scott County. We are also new to chickens. We are trying our hand at building a pallet coop. Hoping to find enough decent pallets to side it! But also concerned about the winter and will they be warm enough. :)

Welcome carlslake. Chickening is a hoot! you'll love it and your chickens.

Pallet coops are so charming!....would love to do one myself! My coop for the most part is recycled castoffs from a construction site...lots of pride and being thrifty with your coop is surely rewarding.

Chickens have beautiful downy feathers that keep them warm through the winter...just like a winter coat. But trust me we are all concerned about our chicks out in those frigid cold days of winter here in Minnesota.
wink.png

I just finished building my coop this week and I pick up 4 hens on Saturday! I live in Vadnais Heights (just north of St Paul) -- I am super excited that there are so many local coops and people on here that are willing to help newbe's out. :) Thanks in advance guys/gals!

I'm in Wright County MN~ anyone nearby?  We're south of St.Cloud,  but north of the Twin Cities.

I just got 4 chickens this week.  I'm scared about the temperature swings we'll experience this first year, hoping my coop is good enough to keep them warm, without keeping them too warm. 

I live in northern mn also. It got as cold as -37 last winter. We keep our poultry in barn. On the coldest nights we had a wood stove running. We also used a few heat lamps one was over the water and one was above the roost. We also had a heated dog dish. We a couple of chickens that lost the tips on their combs and one of our chinese geese appeared to have frostbite on its knob. Other than that everyone was fine. They all wanted to snuggle up to the big rooster at night. They didn't think muvh of the snow either. They would stand in the doorway and groan when they saw new fluffy snow.

Back
Top Bottom