Miscellaneous Meeps - Hatching my Dreams

Pics
Someone got a pasty butt hot tub soak and seemed to enjoy every moment of it!

20240327_064158.jpg

The little chicks are starting to sprout their wing feathers so I was looking today for any sign of barring. I have at least a dozen solid black chicks from Fizzy and Chonkers.

4 chicks hatched from Fizzy and Barred Rock hens, none have a head dot and I haven't seen any barring, did I hit the jackpot and hatch 4 pullets? Or is Fizzy the EE another genetic mystery like my silkies and weird stuff is going on with the colors? The other odd part with the Fizzy chicks is that I expected about 50% to be blue, but of the 10 chicks that hatched 100% are black :confused:

I hatched 7 from Chonkers and two are blue, one is from a green egg and I do have a blue EE so that makes sense. But, the other blue chick hatched from a brown egg and is somehow blue, but my brown egg layers are Black Astraulorp, Barred Rock, and Rhode Island Red, so none of those combos "should" produce blue. The other thing to note here is that @Debbie292d also hatched a blue Chonkers chick with clean legs from a brown egg.

The blue chick from the EE has feathered legs and the one from the brown egg doesn't, also just like Debbie's. Cool, but a mystery!

I still haven't split the chicks that I'm keeping vs selling in to two brooders. When I do that I plan on making notes on what colors hatched. I currently know the different colors just not the # of each.

A local lady got 20 eggs from me 2 weeks ago, of all those only 3 didn't develop, go girls! One week to hatch day, I'm super excited to see what colors she gets!

Of all my silkies that are 6 weeks old, it looks like at least 2/3 are boys :thit looks like I sold all the girls and kept the boys 🤣 oops. It's still early, but it seems that anyone developing a bit of a comb by now, has a very very slight chance of actually being a pullet. I have 1 SFH cockerel, 1 bantam cockerel, and both Chonkers chicks are cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom