Miscellaneous Meeps - Hatching my Dreams

Pics
I have the hatching baskets ready to go, and a plan on which eggs go into which compartment so I can track what pen they came from, and what color leg band they will get as they are vaccinated.

The last thing I want is a Chonkers paint baby getting mixed up as a purebred Ermine Ameraucana baby 😱

Here is my favorite mystery color chick from the last hatch, out of a Chocolate silkie hen egg!

20240318_185105.jpg
20240318_185044.jpg

I have the hatching baskets ready to go, and a plan on which eggs go into which compartment so I can track what pen they came from, and what color leg band they will get as they are vaccinated.

The last thing I want is a Chonkers paint baby getting mixed up as a purebred Ermine Ameraucana baby 😱

Here is my favorite mystery color chick from the last hatch, out of a Chocolate silkie hen egg!

View attachment 3775895
View attachment 3775896
What a pretty color! ❤

do you think your flock could have two with recessive grey, and you just got the right egg from the right roo and hen?
I can't be sure of anything, but I do know the egg was from my chocolate, she lays a distinctive egg. I don't know which roo as during our cold snap I threw everyone together so they could have a bigger cuddle pile at night to stay warm. I also don't know what those boys could be hiding genetically. This one will likely remain a mystery and just be a cool little silkie. I have another that almost looks like a chocolate splash, but I shouldn't have the genetics to make one of those either 🤣

I can't be sure of anything, but I do know the egg was from my chocolate, she lays a distinctive egg. I don't know which roo as during our cold snap I threw everyone together so they could have a bigger cuddle pile at night to stay warm. I also don't know what those boys could be hiding genetically. This one will likely remain a mystery and just be a cool little silkie. I have another that almost looks like a chocolate splash, but I shouldn't have the genetics to make one of those either 🤣
I'm not breeding for particular colors or anything, but Iv'e got a cross between a Brahma and a Plymouth Barred Rock. hope she turns out to be a hen!

It almost looks like blue lavender, but the odds of both parents happening to carry lavender when it's pretty hard to come by in Silkies is pretty slim... My best theory otherwise is that it's a blue with heavy silver leakage. Silver leakage tends to blend into the base color with silkied feathering, especially on pullets that get less patchy leakage like the males and instead get more evenly spread out leakage. This can give the effect of just being a lighter tone of color instead of looking like outright color leakage. I suspect Nora, my silkied Blue Cochin pullet, has some silver leakage as well because she has a lighter-toned patch down her chest if you look at her in the right lighting. Hopefully once your little one is in adult plumage it'll become more clear what's going on there. :fl

I'm not breeding for particular colors or anything, but Iv'e got a cross between a Brahma and a Plymouth Barred Rock. hope she turns out to be a hen!

Which parent was the Barred Plymouth Rock, the mother or the father? If it was the mother, then that should be a sexlinked cross and you should be able to tell males from females at hatch. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom