colleen271

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2022
Hello,
My little Dumplin who is about a year and half old is missing a ton of feathers on her belly. You can only see it when I pick her up and she is not missing any around her vent. I noticed a few missing on her head but not bad. I checked her for mites, I have not noticed any bullying behaviors from the others in the flock. I thought when It first started that she was molting but its been around a month now and I can't tell if anything is growing back or getting worse. She is eating and acting fine, laying daily etc.. Thought she was maybe broody but she is not spenidng a lot of time in her house and again acting normal. Any ideas of what could be going on? Should I be worried?

Attachments

• IMG_5093.jpg
    IMG_5093.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 34
Look closely at the bare spots. If you see uniform pin feathers poking out of the bare skin, she's molting.

If the missing feathers are in "landing strips" along her keel bone, she may be broody, but still in early stages.

If the feather bases appear inflamed and irritated and red, she may have depluming mites.

If remaining feathers in balding spots appear to be stripped and broken, she may be a victim of feather picking.

Take your pick.

Look closely at the bare spots. If you see uniform pin feathers poking out of the bare skin, she's molting.

If the missing feathers are in "landing strips" along her keel bone, she may be broody, but still in early stages.

If the feather bases appear inflamed and irritated and red, she may have depluming mites.

If remaining feathers in balding spots appear to be stripped and broken, she may be a victim of feather picking.

Take your pick.
I'm thinking maybe feather picking??

You can verify feather picking by spying on the flock for an hour or so some afternoon. Just watch the interactions as they loaf and dirt bathe. Is another chicken standing over her as she dirt bathes and pecking at her feathers.

If you can identify the culprit, pinless peepers on the miscreant will often stop the behavior. You can remove the peeper after you see the picking as stopped for a good while.

I have a barnyard mix who has a bare keel like yours right before she goes broody. She is happily brooding 6 eggs this year. Had to break her a few times last summer, and then she molted.
They'll grow out when she molts again.

Back
Top Bottom