Missing Feathers

Swiftbow

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello,

Our 2 year old java hen (Goose) has been missing some feathers on her back for awhile. The problem started when our rooster (now rehomed) was mating with her, but he's been gone since November and it seems like she's lost more feathers since. It doesn't seem to bother her (she got through the cold months just fine) and she keeps laying. Does she need to molt before they'll grow back? She didn't molt last year, I think maybe because she went broody in the late summer and raised a couple chicks instead.

Thanks for any advice!

IMGP1312.JPG

IMGP1315.JPG

IMGP1324.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP1324.JPG
    IMGP1324.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 0
Hello,

Our 2 year old java hen (Goose) has been missing some feathers on her back for awhile. The problem started when our rooster (now rehomed) was mating with her, but he's been gone since November and it seems like she's lost more feathers since. It doesn't seem to bother her (she got through the cold months just fine) and she keeps laying. Does she need to molt before they'll grow back? She didn't molt last year, I think maybe because she went broody in the late summer and raised a couple chicks instead.

Thanks for any advice!

View attachment 1363851
View attachment 1363852
View attachment 1363853
They should grow back. I had a Buff Orpington hen in the same condition. Took her around four months to grow them back. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom