Mite or lice treatment

Newbie__123

Chirping
Feb 13, 2022
Hi, does anyone have a mite or lice treatment they reccomend i looked up a few articles and they reccoemnd permethrin 10 but when i found it on cheys it says its only for horses so if i use it will a little spray bottle work or how do i use it and can i spray it in the coop as well?

Yes, you can use it on chickens. Do you have a Tractor Supply store nearby? They carry it.

You can use either the powder or the liquid spray, and you can spray it on the chickens and in the coop.

There is a lot of info here on BYC about treating mites and lice. Use the search function (top right button); I usually check the "search title only" box to get more targeted responses.

Tha
Yes, you can use it on chickens. Do you have a Tractor Supply store nearby? They carry it.

You can use either the powder or the liquid spray, and you can spray it on the chickens and in the coop.

There is a lot of info here on BYC about treating mites and lice. Use the search function (top right button); I usually check the "search title only" box to get more targeted responses.
Thank you!!! Okay i will i tried looking it up at the 3 tsc near me and i didnt find anything i found mite powder but i wanna treat for lice as well just incase.

Hi, does anyone have a mite or lice treatment they reccomend i looked up a few articles and they reccoemnd permethrin 10 but when i found it on cheys it says its only for horses so if i use it will a little spray bottle work or how do i use it and can i spray it in the coop as well?
You definitely want to completely clean out the coop, removing all the feathers and shavings/bedding. We put Distomaceous Earth in the new bedding on the nest boxes and in their dust path. This will kill the lice and mites. However, we also give them an oral dose of Ivermectin. It’s tricky to get sometimes, so not always the best. We have the one for large animals and just give them a small dose. Great thing is it can also be used for worms, scaly leg mites, and other parasites. So it had multi usage. Just remember to treat the birds again two weeks later to kill any lice or mites that hatched. Since you can’t kill the eggs usually.

I don’t know if this will help. It’s just what we do when we get mites or lice. I hope your flock does okay💕

You definitely want to completely clean out the coop, removing all the feathers and shavings/bedding. We put Distomaceous Earth in the new bedding on the nest boxes and in their dust path. This will kill the lice and mites. However, we also give them an oral dose of Ivermectin. It’s tricky to get sometimes, so not always the best. We have the one for large animals and just give them a small dose. Great thing is it can also be used for worms, scaly leg mites, and other parasites. So it had multi usage. Just remember to treat the birds again two weeks later to kill any lice or mites that hatched. Since you can’t kill the eggs usually.

I don’t know if this will help. It’s just what we do when we get mites or lice. I hope your flock does okay💕
Thank you i did try to look up iverticulum but i have to go.into tractor supply for it so.im going tomorrow. And i just read about cleaning the coop which sucks because i just cleaned it but also is what it is. I used First saturday lime so ill just use that again. Im gonna be gone most day tomorrow but will make sure todo it all over again tomorrow.

Diotomaeceous Earth is a class 3 carcinogen, its unsafe for you and especially your birds to breathe. please wear a mask and googles when cleaning your coop.

Diotomaeceous Earth is a class 3 carcinogen, its unsafe for you and especially your birds to breathe. please wear a mask and googles when cleaning your coop.
We do wear masks and gloves since it’s not good to breath. I don’t really know why you brought up it’s a group 3 carcinogen since that means classifiable as to it’s carcinogenicity in humans (no evidence it causes cancer). As only as we wear masks and gloves when putting it in the coop it’s fine though. It’s unlikely to hurt us or the birds. But thanks for the concern💕

I use first saturday lime and i still do.wear masks even when useing that but thank you.

Back
Top Bottom