MItes and Permethrin Powder

Found some red mites on my hens yesterday, I have an old antique hen house with 12 boxes. Should I treat and then paint that thing. Or will it still attrack mites. Now I know why people buy metal chicken houses. I was thinking of buying the Poultry Protector for used on EVERYTHING including the hens. Has anyone used that product/

I would try putting the powder in a spray bottle with water and shake it real well. Then I would spray the whole coop especially where mites might like to hide. Shake the bottle often so that the powder doesn't settle on the bottom of the bottle. And I don't know if you can use ivermectin with chickens, but I use that with my rabbits when they get mites. Does anyone know dosage for Ivermectin and chickens?

Give that poor crawly girl a good bath with dish washing detergent and drown the suckers before treating her. Poor thing. Sounds like the Sevin dust isn't killing them; they might be resistant. Try ivermectin pour-on, at least on the badly infested one. Between stress and blood loss, you could lose her if you wait.

Two drops on the back of the neck by the head was effective in removing roundworms from my bantams; they weigh about one pound each. Am using it for mites, but the girls had roundworms too, so I'm gaging the effective dosage by what made them pass the worms; one drop didn't.

Found some red mites on my hens yesterday, I have an old antique hen house with 12 boxes. Should I treat and then paint that thing. Or will it still attrack mites. Now I know why people buy metal chicken houses. I was thinking of buying the Poultry Protector for used on EVERYTHING including the hens. Has anyone used that product/

I've used Poultry Protector quite a bit for spot use on my birds in bitter winter months, to decrease the mites on them. Works great! I was just informed that it comes in a concentrate (not by me...) and I'm going to get that and use it to dip them in during summer months. I don't think it has any residual, but dipping with a non-toxic to decrease the number of mites, while spraying, dusting, or using Ivomectin sounds like a good idea to me.

I used the sevin 5% dust then when I could get food grade Diatomaceous Earth (fossil shell flour) later that day, I used that.

I have about the same situation. I had noticed one of my 6 month old chicks wasn't eating or drinking and would only sleep 3 days ago. When I checked for bugs the first day, I didn't see anything. So, I just hand fed her yogurt and electrolyte water. The third day (today) when I went out to feed her, she had mites all over. I got the Seville 5% dust and put that on her and all over in the coop. Within an hour the mites were dead. I am putting the DE in the coop, extra cleaning everything, and I'm going to sprinkle the rest of the chickens with it. This is my first time using the DE but I've heard lots of promising things about it so I hope it works good. My chick seemed better after a couple of hours, every now and then she runs around and seems more willing to eat and drink. Hopefully she will show more improvement tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom