Mites, did I screw up?

Lisa626

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2022
My chickens have mites. I cleaned out the coop and nesting boxes the sprayed down the coop with Permethrin. I then made a chicken bath with Permethrin and water and dunked all the birds.
After I realized I bought 1% and online it says to use 10% permethrin. Did everything I just did do nothing?
This is what I used, so mad at myself!

Attachments

• IMG_1435.png
    IMG_1435.png
    775.9 KB · Views: 67
Its poisonous and not allowed anymore to use on chickens where I live. Some people still administer it for chickens though, but the man from the pet shop says you can’t eat the eggs for at least a week.

Where I live they recommend (for red mite) cleaning thoroughly and a combination of foodgrade DE (spray or make a paint with the powder) and two herbal supplements. One for in the water and one in the feed. Its brand name is Finecto+.

Its poisonous and not allowed anymore to use on chickens where I live. Some people still administer it for chickens though, but the man from the pet shop says you can’t eat the eggs for at least a week.

Where I live they recommend cleaning thoroughly and a combination of foodgrade DE (spray or make a paint with the powder) and two herbal supplements. One for in the water and one in the feed. Its brand name is Finecto+.
Thank you for the reply. Is the 1% I bought not recommended or is it all Permethrin?

It’s all permethrin.
Everything I’ve read says it’s safe and there is no withdrawal period for eggs. I already dipped my chickens and cleaned the coop with the spray. My mites are definitely dead, there are piles of dead ones in the corners of the coop.

I told that its not permitted where I live. Rules and regulations and availability of medicines/cures are often not the same in the US.
imho its good to know Permethrin is a poison (pesticide) and its not allowed to use in the EU in factory farming. The farmers who get caught get a huge fine. One of the reasons its not allowed anymore has to do with resistance (after using it too much). The other reason has to do with residues in eggs and meat.

What you choose is up yo you.

Anyway its great the mites are dead, but the mite-eggs hidden far away probably didn’t get killed and will hatch sooner or later. Unlike a worm infestation the red mite eggs can hatch after a short time (2-3 days) but also after months or after a winter period.

Life Cycle of Red Mite​

Red mites feed on the bird between one and two hours each night. They tend to live in cracks and crevices in the hen houses as this is where they deposit the eggs.

When the nest conditions are correct the mite larvae hatch 2-3 days after being laid. The time it takes for a mite to go from egg to adult is 7 days.
Source: https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/blog...&text=They tend to live in,to adult is 7 days.

Please fo take precautions to prevent a new infestation. There is enough info on BYC to make a choice that fits your way of doing things. Try a search in articles and threads. For a start :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ses-tips-for-prevention-and-monitoring.76285/

Back
Top Bottom