Mites? Lice? I need some help please!

71Ob4aFEmGL._SX569_.jpg

Price: $25.61 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Naturally they won't ship to California! :hmm

Good deal, but just (ALL) be aware there are others that might come up in google that does have the other pesticides in it as well (and usually cost more). NOT Suitable for animals or humans.

I have several button quail in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I have raised them from eggs. No outside contact and their substrate is newspaper pellets and/or flakes from the local feed mill and they eat gamebird starter from the mill as well. They are inside only, in my master bedroom. I care for them meticulously.
Over the past week, feathers have gone missing from the smaller quail's backs. The 2 larger quail have no feather issues. Today when i went to give them water, I noted extremely small light colored 'bugs' all over the black grate on the pen's screen top. A lot of them!
I took the quail out, bathed them, cleaned the tank and changed the substrate and threw out all of the open food and substrate in case of contamination from an outside source before putting brand new 'everything' in again.
My question.....what are they and where do you think they came from? I do not believe myself or my dogs are at risk, if my Google search is correct, in terms of transmission. Also, is there any other product I can use to get rid of the bugs fast? Ivermectin? Dusting powder?
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your help! So do they ;).

I recently had a problem with feather lice. The problem was isolated to one bird and not the rest of the flock. This bird in particular, is my favorite, so I took her to the vet. The vet recommended kitten flea spray. She said feather lice typically cause the birds to pluck out their feathers, but luckily this didn't happen to my girl. Note sure if you have lice or mites, but the vet did mention that flea spray would do the trick for both. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom