mites, mites, mites

Can someone tell me what causes mites to start in the first place? If they're able to dust bathe regularly, how do they get them? What about the run? We've had a lot of rain here and every time it seems the run starts to dry out, it rains again so it is a never ending battle trying to keep that dry. Will a lot of rain/mud cause mites? Confused and overwhelmed...

Mites and loce can arrive on birds that you get from outside sources (not hatchery chicks!) and most often come from wild birds, which are everywhere, and will show up in your opened coop, and when your birds range outside. Unavoidable, unless you do a totally indoor facility. Mary

Mites and loce can arrive on birds that you get from outside sources (not hatchery chicks!) and most often come from wild birds, which are everywhere, and will show up in your opened coop, and when your birds range outside. Unavoidable, unless you do a totally indoor facility. Mary

Thank you, so a wet/muddy run has nothing to do with mites?

I have read this entire feed as well and I am trying to figure out a few things.

I noticed my girls had mites on them about a month ago. Went to the local feed store and asked what I could use that would work well that is safe. They directed me to DE, which I purchased a 50 lb. bag and covered every part of their coops and around the vicintity they roam. We have about 1/4 acre lot they free range on so there are several places for the mites to hide. I dust bathed all of them heavily that night and again a week later. Looked on the girls to check on them and low and behold they were WORSE than before. One of my girls head is BALD. I have had chickens for the past 4 years with NO critters at all. Being new to the mites thing I completely panic'd.

I read this feed and purchased the ivermectin liquid to apply on them this weekend. I didn't want to do it until I completely clean out their coop and spray it down with liquid seven and let it dry. (That was something I read doing research) then my plan is to dose them with ivermectin and dust them in DE/seven dust and see where that takes me.

The one thing that I cannot find is, and I am hoping someone here knows, are these answers:

1: How often you can dose them with ivermectin.

2: If you effectively get the mites under control, how often to you treat their coops (I am terrified of another outbreak)

3. Do I need to spray the entire yard or are these parasites usually only found in the coops/roosts and on the chicken?

4. Should I keep them in their coop for a couple weeks to try to isolate the issue?

5. Has anyone used Aquaphore on the combs to try to soothe them and possibly suffocate the little f*er's?

I only have 9 birds, two of which are pullets and don't appear to be affected. I have kept them in their own coop but I understand these pests can jump.

I can't imagine ever getting this under control. I have kept my dogs out of the back part of the yard because i am discusted they would get them and bring them into the house.

Can anyone answer some of the questions above? I also purchased another liquid for backup called Talstar P (Talstar One) to spray down their coops in a couple weeks if the seven is not effective. I absolutely hate using chemicals but I don't know what else to do!!!

Permethrin works fine in the coop, and is approved for chickens, unlike carbaryl, which has fallen off the approved list. I would return the Sevin and get permethrin instead. It comes a 'Poultry Dust" or as a liquid, which would be easier to spray vertical surfaces. I clean out the bedding and use permethrin dust on the floor under the new bedding. DO NOT spray the yard, you will only kill every beneficial out there! You can dust each bird with permethrin, or use the Ivermectin totally off label on each bird, and repeat in ten to fourteen days, if needed. WEAR A N95 dust mask when using any dust type product, and cleaning the coop. I had to treat for mites this spring, and have been clear since. I go out with a flashlight at night and check birds, especially around their vents, where the bad bugs tend to show up. UGH! Really, it will be fine, and it's part of management when you have chickens. Mary

Thank you Mary for your reply. It seems everyone swears by the SEVEN, thats why I chose it. Where can I get this permethrin. Its funny that when i go to the feed store, they continuously tell me that the DE is sufficient and when I bring up chemicals they think I am evil. Can I get the permethrin at a home depot or OSH or something? I am tackling this tomorrow, I have gloves, bought knee high boots and recruited my daughter to help.

I will definately use your advice on the dosing the chickens in a couple weeks if I absolutely NEED to, I just did not want to do so without someone who knows that its safe or not.

:)

Permethrin is available at our local feed stores and TSC, usually called 'Poultry Dust' and it has instructions on the label for treating chickens. Our TSC also has two or three liquid permethrin products for spraying. Mary

Where do you get the ivermectin, and in what form? I have given birds shots before, so that's no problem. I do have a horse-sized tube of ivermectin that I diluted for my cats when there was a demodectic mange breakout from an incoming cat (despite him being in quarantine).

Can I use this tube and dilute it for chickens? If so, should I dilute it and use it in a bath or add it to the feed or a treat?

Ok, when I went to butcher my meat chicken Rooster, who is well beyond traditional butchering age ( he hatched last May!), I am embarrassed to say that he had a very bad case of bugs!!
I am guessing it is, in part, because he didn't have access to a dust bath area. My question is should I bury or burn the feathers? I have 1 more meatie to butcher. I'll get to her tomorrow. Then I will treat the entire area. It is well away from the rest of my flock, except when the egg layers free range. I'm going to have to check all of them tonight when they go to roost. I really,really hope that it is contained to just the 3 meat chickens I had/have. Any suggestions on the best way to dispose of the feathers so as to not spread the bugs?
I buried the 1 hen's feathers & carcass in the garden. In hind sight I believe she also had bugs, just not as bad a case. I thought it was dirt. UGGHHH!!

Several years ago, I had three nice hens die over winter in my flock. The third hen, dead in a white plastic bag, finally demonstrated the ZILLIONS of mites that killed her, and the other hens. BAD story! Since then, I've been paranoid about checking my birds for mites; at least every other week, night time inspection of a few flock members, and then treatment if found. UGH! I just discovered the permethrin liquid concentrate, and love it! See the thread above. Much easier than that nasty powder! You will need to treat everyone and clean out the litter, and treat the coop. Mary

Back
Top Bottom