mites, mites, mites

I just lost a hen last night, she had a bunch of mites, I am not sure if they killed her or not. We found the poor thing weak and not walking much.

I also feel itchy, I am concerned some got inside the house, we are cleaning like mad to try to head off an infestation.

I need to treat the chicken house, it is going to be cold all week plus I have to work so I will do it on Saturday as well as have a camp fire for wood ash.

So sorry for your losses, Kellywooh and DogChickenDad!

I had a mite infestation recently. Here's what I did to get it under control: I used Ivermectin (Pour On) - 1/4cc for Silkies and 1/2cc for Standards - on their backs (between their shoulders). I cleaned out their coop thoroughly and sprayed with Permectrin II (Permethrin) diluted to 1% solution and let that dry thoroughly for about 2 hours. Then I lightly sprinkled the floor of the coop with Garden & Poultry Dust (which is a Permethrin dust), and also lightly dusted in the cracks and crevices and in the bottom of the nesting boxes, and then added in the fresh clean bedding (I use pine shavings for bedding). Then I dusted each bird with the dust under their wings, on their crest areas very carefully (with a cosmetic powder brush, being extremely careful not to get it in their eyes), and on their vent areas. Now, finally, it's under control. :)

And just to let you know, I did initially use DE in their coop bedding and run dusting areas and thought that I was taking care of the mites in the "safe" way -- I WAS WRONG! So do your chickens a favor and go after the darn mites with what actually KILLS the mites.

Thanks so much for the info. I have done my 2nd Ivermectin treatment yesterday. I don't think we have Permethrin dust in Canada, I have completely sprayed the coop,nest boxes,floors,everything with Ectiban 25. Apparently it can be sprayed on the chickens too for the mites, but it has been to cold here for that. Will do it when warmer weather arrives.I also rubbed DE dust onto perches today. Think I'm still going to try wood ash and DE dust outside on the ground. I still have 1 hen that is not 100%, hoping I caught her up in time to help her out. Again,thanks for your help :) It is so graciously appreciated!!!

Thx for all the good info. I had no idea what was crawling all over my hands when I went to get an egg.

Ugh... mites! We have some eggs about to hatch (tomorrow is day 21) and they are covered with mites, as is the nest they're in. I imagine the rest of the coop is full too. What's the best way to safely treat for this problem? I hate the thought that the chicks will enter the world covered with mites. I've use diatomaceous earth in the past to dust the coop and nests, and the mites seemed to go away. I dusted a couple of days ago, but the mites seem worse. I know I need something more powerful, but safe for emerging chicks

Ugh... mites! We have some eggs about to hatch (tomorrow is day 21) and they are covered with mites, as is the nest they're in. I imagine the rest of the coop is full too. What's the best way to safely treat for this problem? I hate the thought that the chicks will enter the world covered with mites. I've use diatomaceous earth in the past to dust the coop and nests, and the mites seemed to go away. I dusted a couple of days ago, but the mites seem worse. I know I need something more powerful, but safe for emerging chicks

Well, it doesn't look like there are mites anywhere else..... I brushed some olive oil with a little bit of Neem oil added to it all around our broody's nest box. It killed the mites that it touched. I'll keep watching.

D.gif

Last edited:
Thanks again for replies. I have conquered the mites (for now)!!!! Took so much effort, but everyone looking good and starting to put on weight :) Now with the warmer weather coming, I hope to revamp the coop for easier cleaning and dealing with any more mite outbreaks. To all of you....... your info is invaluable!! I can't thank you enough, keep up the good work. I hope you all have happy chickens :)

Back
Top Bottom