mites, mites, mites

Two days ago I found one pullet dead. Looking her over I found mites on her hind quarters.
On the cure,I'd rather go natural but I know seven dust is good for pests.
Here's my dilemma , I have bees and do not want to harm them. I try not to use pesticides because of that.
Do you think its okay to use it around their pen?

Wood ash sources:
Your own grill?
A fire pit in your back yard?
A campground?

Question: does the ash have to be wood? Is treated lumber or charcoal ok?

I cant imagine not having wood ash. Weekends around the backyard fire pit roasting hot dogs and making smores. Lots of fun and cheap entertainment.

I just noticed a mite , it looked sort of red crawling on my arm out in the coop. So I cleaned the coop and the put the DE everywhere and all over the roost. My chickens aren't laying yet.
But I did notice some of the feather on my EE backs are just gone. Not sure if it is from mites are if it is from them fighting. The one's with feathers missing are little roo's . 8 weeks old.
I also fixed two tubs for dust bath's with DE and sand.
After reading some of the responses above I will add wood ash tonight to the dust bath tubs.

From what I've read, the DE doesn't really do any good in getting rid of an infestation of mites. It may help prevent them once you have eradicated them.

I'm so glad I've found this site!
Just found tons of mites on my 8 week old girls. And I feel like the coldwetnoz poster!
I'm off to feed store tomorrow and will follow all of your advices
1f414.png

Thanks so much!

Could someone please tell me how much Sevin powder should I use on each pullet?
I have no idea of how much to use on them.
Also, do you all use the worm medicine as a prevention or as a cure?
They're about 8 weeks old.
Thanks

I recently acquired a 5 month old silkie who is full of mites :(
I've dusted her once already, but still see tons on her. I've heard about ivermectin. Could you tell me what the dosage would be for a pullet her size?
Thank you!

Save your $ and avoid DE. It's useless once wet and is expensive to boot. Ash does just as well and is free for the making and taking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom