Mix of Grit - Charcol - Sand

JValera

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2016
Hi Guys and Hi Laides

I would like to know, the ratio or recipe ( amount of each products ) of Grit , Sand and Charcoal , can I mix ,

because I want to put on a container for the chicken hen layers, and just have it there for them every day .

I think that is fine if I mix a ratio of

5 scoops of regular grit

.... 1 scoop of charcoal

.... 10 scoop of sand

Can any breeder , explain me , if it's Ok ??

thanks --Jorge

The sand can function as grit is appropriately sized. The charcoal will not function as grit, Unless chickens can sift the mixture to extract the charcoal, then the birds will not consume enough to get reputed benefits of consuming it.

++Hi

I'm confused Is it for use as dirt bathing?

can I mix charcoal with sand ?/

Do you know about it ?

thanks
--Jorge

I think the mix the others are talking about is used for making a dustbath for the chickens which will help to prevent fleas, lice and other little buggies from infesting your chickens. No grit needed for that mix, just sand alone will also work. Not sure what the charcoal is for, I use wood ash and DE (diatomaceous earth) to help the dust bath mix to work better. Put in a shallow bin and place it where it will stay dry. Great for the winter months around here when the ground is frozen.

I have heard of people making a mix of grit, coarse sand and charcoal as a grit mix for the chickens. The sand was added for small chicks in the flock, but you must get a coarser sand for that use. The construction sand I bought for my dustbath had some fairly large "sand" particles that the chickens have picked out.

Activated charcoal is used in medicine for certain types of poisoning. I believe that it was added to the mix, in the hopes that it will make the chickens healthier by removing toxins, but I doubt it actually helps the chickens. Be careful if you choose to use the charcoal, don't use very much, as charcoal can cause constipation, dehydration and can cause lung problems if inhaled. My concern would also be that the charcoal may be removing some of the nutrition from what they eat.

If you are looking to feed grit for the chickens, just put out a container of grit no mixing needed. My chickens scratch in the grit container to find the exact piece of rock that they want. It can take them a while to find the special piece or two for the day.

Thank you

Do you use this product
zoom.jpg

yes, Ok

I want to put a big container

I don't the portion of Sand and Dush bath can I mix ? How many pounds of each ?

about of Charcoal , I breeding before birds and pigeons that I was use charcoal.

my friend use the product , of charcoal : He mixed and put on separate dish.

.... 5 scoop of Grit and 1 scoop of Charcoal = 5 lbs of Grit and 1 lbs of charcoal..

Thank you so much

--Jorge

I think the mix the others are talking about is used for making a dustbath for the chickens which will help to prevent fleas, lice and other little buggies from infesting your chickens.  No grit needed for that mix, just sand alone will also work.  Not sure what the charcoal is for, I use wood ash and DE (diatomaceous earth) to help the dust bath mix to work better.  Put in a shallow bin and place it where it will stay dry.  Great for the winter months around here when the ground is frozen.

I have heard of people making a mix of grit, coarse sand and charcoal as a grit mix for the chickens.  The sand was added for small chicks in the flock, but you must get a coarser sand for that use.  The construction sand I bought for my dustbath had some fairly large "sand" particles that the chickens have picked out.  

Activated charcoal is used in medicine for certain types of poisoning.  I believe that it was added to the mix, in the hopes that it will make the chickens healthier by removing toxins, but I doubt it actually helps the chickens.  Be careful if you choose to use the charcoal, don't use very much, as charcoal can cause constipation, dehydration and can cause lung problems if inhaled.  My concern would also be that the charcoal may be removing some of the nutrition from what they eat. 

If you are looking to feed grit for the chickens, just put out a container of grit no mixing needed.  My chickens scratch in the grit container to find the exact piece of rock that they want.  It can take them a while to find the special piece or two for the day.

My question regarding charcoal is would you only administer it to the chicken in paste form ie. mixed with water when a chicken eats poisoned food. Or is there other benefits to it. I have read it helps to alleviate parasites etc. what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom