Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

Pics

This is NO-***. Only one out of 153 chicks to have no butt feathers.
EE Father SUSPECTED NOT FULL BLOODED, EE MOTHER FULL BLOODED

An EE is not a breed UT us a mutt the aurucana is part of the genetics witch has nit tail

Why? It will be okay as long as they don't have some sort of bad trait that would be bred back into the gene pool. There's lots of breeds/strains that have been created just by this method of breeding. The avian gene pool is not like the closely related human gene pool. You will not end up with some sort of freak by doing this cross if that's the problem. Should be some interesting results in my opinion. :)

Jeff

I think it may be more of a concern in breed refinement, but when you are dealing with siblings that have two parents from completely different breeds/gene pools, you get a little more leeway with perhaps line breeding? A way to refine the genes further, without also bottlenecking the population which would create inheritable weaknesses in the genetic lines.

Oh, and after hanging around on some threads, it is clear some breeds are being weakened genetically in perhaps isolated (or I don't know widespread) incidents.
It is something people need to be aware of. Not everyone has the same stock, lines, variations in their flocks. Maybe in a perfect world.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what a large fowl EE or Ameraucana mixed with a Belgian Antwerp/d'Anvers bantam would look like? Would the size be averaged and would it have muffs and a beard? I love the blue feet too :)
Trees: I have never blended to two... BUT I did lose my Bantam Roo last year and all but one Sebright hen... My EE Roo 'married her' and she went broody with 11 chicks.
Egg side from this cross is actually bigger than I thought they would be. Im getting theirs mixed up with my EE hens eggs! At first they were exactly the middle road between Bantam and LF eggs, but now they are getting larger! and the hens are only 7 months old.
Their size was exactly the middle road as well. The feathered feet from the Sebrights booted father carried over only to 1/3 of the chicks.
I found that 3 Roos and 3 hens had the beards, The rest were skim necked like the mother, but much fuller in the meat department. I culled the Roos at 4 months and it was ok, but next batch I will pen them and allow them to live longer (mine all all free ranged all day 100%) since this seems to make weight pour on them.
I will say, that the EE 'never go broody' personality did not carry over... I have one broody hen now, and another I sold to a guy says he has one that is broody as well so that is productive... mine is sitting on 4 of her eggs and 7 of my EE eggs! So that makes me happy....
Wish I could be more help.

Thanks for the reply! Good to know that crossing a Large Fowl with a Bantam will make a middle-sized bird.

I don't raise them for meat, I am an ovo-vegetarian, so I actually like the slimmer-looking birds best (like Game Fowl). I'm hoping to breed EEs or Ameraucanas with smaller, slimmer birds to make a bearded/muffed EE-looking bird with not as hefty-looking a body. But I don't want bantam-sized birds, too small! That's why I think the bearded d'Anvers would be perfect to start with, and then maybe introduce Game Fowl (unless I should just introduce one or the other...I am not sure yet!) to the offspring.

I can't wait to see what we get out of our Buff roo and our Barred Rock, and Rhode Island hens. We also have a Silkie roo but the Buff roo wont let him breed lol
We have a baby from a buff roo and a barred rock its a female and she is mostly black with some caramel in her head and neck they are also sex linked if they have caramel color they are female and no caramel just white with black its a male ;-)

These are my newly hatched babies. The dad is a Meyer hatchery buff brahma, the 2 red ones have red star moms, and the black one's mom is a Meyer hatchery white cochin. I have no idea how I ended up with a black chick lol! Especially from a white cochin. I was expecting it to be sex linked. Oh well, it will be a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom