Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

She was a very good layer, large brown eggs. Good temper, too. She had almost no survival instincts compared to my other birds though, and she liked to hide for long periods of time. She wound up getting eaten by something in the summer.

The predators finally built up too much around my house and I actually wound up moving, I was basically just feeding birds to the wildlife for a couple months. I lost almost my entire flock, none of the crosses I posted here ended up making it.

They had some funky (good) looking chicks, but none of them made it. A lot of solid black ones, some barred ones, a chipmunk one, and one very blotchy multi-colored one.
I'm very sorry you had to go through that :( that would kill me.

I cant help it.
Right now I have these young pullets amd cockerels which i believe to be a cross of my freedom ranger with a production blue hen. Im pretty confident these are the parent's. Here are some pics.
20210130_105046.jpg
20210130_104817.jpg
20210130_104803.jpg

And this one is definitely half freedom ranger and either half leghorn, or a leghornXBrahma cross. Im betting Freedom Ranger x White Leghorn
20210127_102012.jpg

He would be leghorn X FR, not Brahma. Any Brahma cross chicks would have a pea comb, not a single.
I may have wrote that badly. I have existing Leghorn X Brahma hens that are there that could be the parent hens of these guys. They have modified peas. But in this case, it is very likely that it isn't them, since all 3 of my identical roos all have straight Combs. I know Peas can be pretty dominant, but I suppose its just an assumption. Also, they don't have any leg feathers whatsoever, so it does further bring to believe that it is just Leghorn X FR afterall.

Last edited:
I may have wrote that badly. I have existing Leghorn X Brahma hens that are there They have modified peas. But in this case, it is very likely that it isn't them, since all 3 of my identical roos all have straight Combs. I know Peas can be pretty dominant, but I suppose its just an assumption. Also, they don't have any leg feathers whatsoever, so it does further bring to believe that it is just Leghorn X FR afterall.
Ah ok. Yes, the lack of leg feathers + none having modified pea comb + all the roos looking practically identical does lead me to believe that they are Leghorn X FR crosses instead of FR X (leghorn X Brahma). The leg feathers are pretty persistent, it isn't a two gene thing like the comb. The pea comb gene is dominant so it would be a 50/50 chance of any chick getting a copy of the pea from the leghorn X Brahma mom. I have had it play out when I had Cochin X (Buff Orp X Dominque) chicks that ALL the female chicks ended up with single combs instead of the modified Rose combs their mothers had. (Rose comb is a dominant gene as well)

I love this thread so much!!! Here's my contribution:

Biscuit: Americauna (dad) + Red Star (mom)
IMG_3129.JPG

Biscuit's Daughter (mom was a Dorking). You can't see it here, but she has 5 toes.
IMG_5505.JPG

Bandaid = Dark Cornish (Dad) + Barred Rock (Mom)

IMG_2374.JPG

Bandaid's Daughter (Mom is a white Plymouth)
IMG_7031.JPG

Baindaid's other Daughter (Mom is a Silver Spangled Hamburg)
IMG_6132.JPG

Can't wait to hatch more this year!

Going to update these pictures as the birds mature, but I've crossed a Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiner (based on appearance) over Buff Orpington hens (hatchery quality from Hoover's) for this result:

Male crossing result:
Snapchat-1154260924.jpg

Snapchat-1116803541.jpg

Female crossing result:
Snapchat-398461955.jpg

Screenshot_20230603-205437.jpg

The result is attractive to me, and so far at least the boys have the seeming "heaviness" of their father. The girls seem to have less barring to none except in the neck, and just come across as paler, fuzzier buffs. To that point, they are so pale compared to a newly molted Buff Orpington, I'm not sure the term "buff" could be fairly used here. They are EXTREMELY fluffy compared to their Buff Orpington mothers at the same age, and I'd be happy if I got fluffier birds overall!

Father:
Snapchat-1081925830.jpg

Mother(s) plus father:
Snapchat-1599418422.jpg

Back
Top Bottom