Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

Pics
She looks like a RIR who hasn't finished dressing!

This is Poopsie, named by my first grader. A hatchery chick, mixed in with a bunch of NH reds. Poopsie lays very round, extra large eggs, dark brown in shell color. She is one of my 2 best layers. I realize this doesn't meet the requirements of the thread guidlines, because I don't know what she is. But, I think she is a very good looking bird, and I wish I knew what exactly, she is. I would guess 50% NH Red, and then....maybe a BR, or???

I think you can do anything you want with your chickens. When it comes to heritage breeds they do get pretty fussy. But I would not get bent around the axels about it. You do what ever makes you happy. There is a couple of threads on here that people are actually swapping mixed breed eggs because they enjoy the variety. If you have happy healthy chickens and you love them, that's all that matters. You can't make everyone happy and opinions are like *&^%$###. As with this one. Just my opinion. I don't have a mix but I come on this thread and enjoy eveyone else's. I hope to have some crosses soon. If you have a mix we would love to see them.

There are "clicks" no matter which type of animal takes your fancy. What matters is if you enjoy & appreciate what you have and or what you are trying to accomplish. If nobody was willing to cross their chickens, we would never discover new beautiful birds that we could then work towards getting them to breed true. I certainly understand both sides of the argument, but we can all be winners with our chickens.

Purebred and crossbred chickens , as with ALL animals, have their place and their purpose. Purebreds are fine and dandy. Use theM for showing or just to preserve a bloodline. Crossbreds can carry the positive and negative traits of many breeds. If you cross breed then don't sell it as a purebred. Most of all if what you're raising doesn't make you happy DON'T raise it.

Who has more pictures?

thumbsup.gif

Plus all were mutts at one point.....

There are "clicks" no matter which type of animal takes your fancy. What matters is if you enjoy & appreciate what you have and or what you are trying to accomplish. If nobody was willing to cross their chickens, we would never discover new beautiful birds that we could then work towards getting them to breed true. I certainly understand both sides of the argument, but we can all be winners with our chickens.

Good answer!

Back
Top Bottom