Mohawk Rhode Island Reds I hatched from Pinegrove. Really nice I think

Hi Dave, I sent you a PM about my RIR eggs.

Sorry to see they are all roosters.
hugs.gif

Does this Pinegrove have a web page or something? Who is the breeder's name? Thanks

Dave I should have some eggs for sale after they start laying mine are from the old Mohawk/Reese lines I only ahve a pair so I plan on hatching quite a few out first.

4828_show_077.jpg

4828_show_070.jpg

4828_show_069.jpg

Are you SURE you hatched out the top bird from Pine Grove's eggs? That bird doesn't even look close to the other birds I've seen of his.

Hopefully someone will be able to hook you up with some females or more eggs!

dave27889,

Are you sure that William Bennett (Pine Grove) has the Mohawk line of Rhode Island Reds?
The Mohawk line of Single Comb Reds is a very old and rare line out of Canada and I know of about 4 or 5 breeders names that was poster on a thread in the Rhode Island Red message board and Bennett's name wasn't one of them.

Chris

I am almost positive it was Mohawk line because some guy named saaquatch was trying to sell some tomahawk chickens last year and a coupleof us asked a bunch of questions about them. I said something about you mean Mohawk and so did someone else and then William put up his birds. They were in front of a wooden background and I commented on how great looking they were and it went on from there. The only other thing I hatched out of the batch of williams eggs were easter Eggers and 1 New Hampshire egg. If memory serves me right the Hampshire egg did nothing and I threw it out.
I do appreciate all the help and a couple of people have sent me messages about them haveing eggs later in the Spring and I am going to take them up on it. Most people only have 1 or 2 hens and roosters so it will take a while. I also have researched the Mohawk line and I myself have talked to a lot of the older guys on the phone about the line. Most of them have been out west or the midwest. Pidgey has the Mohawk line and she is in Florida but she only has a pair of them. I just got her message today. She and I have done trades before and I know her pretty well. She even sent pictures. Hers look very nice. Hey Chris I read that same thread and that is what got me to make my post about mine.

They are all definitly roosters and the first one, the lighter one, there is no way he is from Williams lines, that is a typical Production Red and Williams birds are the good dark ones like the one you thought was a hen are what Williams birds look like. And it is Robert Blosl that has the Mohawk line, Williams are his own line and I dont think he has given them a particular name, I've never heard him mention one anyway.

And yes William is most likely sold out for the year becuase I think he said he has sold his hens and is growing off replacements, but he and I have another friend that has some of his birds and she will be selling chicks from them this year so if you PM me I can get you contact info for her.

Last edited:
I did I sent robert the pictures. He has not gotten back to me yet on the pictures but he did give me some other names to try for either eggs or chicks. I have also talked with greathores and a few others at times as I really want to help keep the Mohawk line going. I have sold all my other type of chickens and I am only doing 3 types of chickens now They are the Mohawk line RIR, some Speckeld Sussex I got from a friend and I don't have any right now but have some coming Easter Eggers because a few friends like the colored eggs.
My health has been really bad the last 2 years and the doctors suggested I cut back and I also have tobe careful about handeling poultry and be really clean. I have had 3 heart attacks, sever diabeties, 7 level spinal surgery last year and penomunia twice in 3 years. I am over weight by about 50 lbs but that has come down by 24 pounds so far and counting. I need to be active but I can only do so much so I sold all the others I had. I even sold my Marans that I thought so much of and worked so hard to get. That is why I want to make sure I do Have what I thought I had. I appreciate all the information and the questions. I am NO poultry expert but I am going to try and be much more informed than I was. I was an expert in electrical maint and in Mechanics before I got hurt and I want to keep busy and I want to contribute to the community. I had to quit being a boy scout leader and that was the hardest thing for me to do. I still help out some on troop projects. Thats is enought ramebeling.
Please if you know anything or suspect that I am wrong about these birds let me know. I know pinegrove sent the eggs to me because he only charged me shipping and I only got either 7 or 8 of them. They were hatched out in an incubator that only had a few eggs in it. Thanks, Dave To add I looked up the message from Willam and it was 3-30-2010. BUT nowhere did it say Mohawk. We only talked about how nice looking his bird were and about a few other things. I may be mistaken about him having Mohawk. Line of RIR. I know I was seeking that line so I had better check on things. Thanks to all and if you know I was wrong about this line it is my fault not Williams in any way. He has been great to me and I don't want to screw that up in anyway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom