Mold and stink

ana2707

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2015
I have a PCV waterer and feeder which I have found work great and stay rather clean. However I am running into an issue. When the water drips it molds the landscaping timbers I have lined my run with. Also the food they throw out gets wet with rain and it's smells to high heaven. The coop and run dont really stink but the sand that stays fairly moist under the waterer does and the food that gets wet does as well. Has anyone else ran into this problem and found a good solution? Any suggestions are welcome.

I have a PCV waterer and feeder which I have found work great and stay rather clean. However I am running into an issue. When the water drips it molds the landscaping timbers I have lined my run with. Also the food they throw out gets wet with rain and it's smells to high heaven. The coop and run dont really stink but the sand that stays fairly moist under the waterer does and the food that gets wet does as well. Has anyone else ran into this problem and found a good solution? Any suggestions are welcome.

Sounds like the first thing you need to address the issues with the waterer and feeder. What style PVC feeder and waterer are you using?

Sounds like the first thing you need to address the issues with the waterer and feeder. What style PVC feeder and waterer are you using?

Vertical nipples seem prone to dripping. The horizontal nipples are much less likely to leak. The PVC feeder seems like it should be ok. The chickens drag feed out of it?

Vertical nipples seem prone to dripping. The horizontal nipples are much less likely to leak. The PVC feeder seems like it should be ok. The chickens drag feed out of it?

Yeah it seems as if they take their beaks and scoop it out but only eat what's in the feeder. It's like they refuse to eat what's on the ground lol.

Yeah it seems as if they take their beaks and scoop it out but only eat what's in the feeder. It's like they refuse to eat what's on the ground lol.

I think you can make an adjustment to the feeder and solve much of that. I had the same issues with my PVC feeders. I bought some caps, cut them in half and screwed them to the bottom of the opening. No more wasted feed for us anyway. Also, it might just be the angle of the photo but it appears that the opening in the feeder is to high. Are they having to reach up to get the feed?

I think you can make an adjustment to the feeder and solve much of that. I had the same issues with my PVC feeders. I bought some caps, cut them in half and screwed them to the bottom of the opening. No more wasted feed for us anyway. Also, it might just be the angle of the photo but it appears that the opening in the feeder is to high. Are they having to reach up to get the feed?

I don't think the opening is too high, they don't seem to reach up to eat but I am going to try cutting a cap in half! Thank you!

In addition to the other good advice, you can cover a feeder with a grille to limit the amount of feed-flipping the chickens can do. They need to be able to get their heads through the grille or mesh if the feed level gets low. Lots of old feeders have these. I think a grille two inches wide is about standard. With a PVC feeder, a single wire (or even a zip tie) separating the feeding area into a left half and a right half might slow down the chickens in their feed-flipping.

A drip pan, preferably with a drain, is always a good addition to the chicken coop and tends to minimize problems with waterers.

Robert

Back
Top Bottom