Molting and severe cold temps

sonjap

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Parker, CO
Hi all, I have a Royal Palm who is molting right now and has a lot of bare skin. The News is now saying we are supposed to get a low of -15. I don't have any heat in the coop. I'm really worried about how bare she is. Should I bring her in for a few days until this cold front passes? Should I buy a radiant heater for the coop to keep the chill off? I won't use heat lamps out there. I've heard too many horror stories about fires.

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a Royal Palm who is molting right now and has a lot of bare skin. The News is now saying we are supposed to get a low of -15. I don't have any heat in the coop. I'm really worried about how bare she is. Should I bring her in for a few days until this cold front passes? Should I buy a radiant heater for the coop to keep the chill off? I won't use heat lamps out there. I've heard too many horror stories about fires.

Turkeys are tougher than you think. If being properly fed your hen should have a subcutaneous layer of fat that will help keep her warm. Even though your coop is unheated it is not likely to get as cold in there as outside just from the heat given off by the poultry that is in there.

If you have a turkey saddle available, I would recommend putting it on her. It kind of acts like a coat. My coming 9 years old hen seems to appreciate wearing her turkey saddle especially when it is cold out.

Back
Top Bottom