Molting

One of my girls is in her 1st adult molt, pretty rough one, and shes acting quiet, almost like shes sick. She ate snacks this morning, corn, lettuce and a bit of meatloaf. They're going thru more feed, but this afternoon while having free yard time, she wasn't grazing like the other 2. She's about 21months old, you can see her stressing over her lack of feathers, like she's lost...should I be worried?

I have a chicken who is about a year and a half old and she is molting in the winter. She is all by herself in the coop.

I too have a 1 1/2 yr old molting real bad - never seen any of my RIR look so bad I have 3 girls and I had 2 of my girls molt last month but not bad. Piper is going thru a tough time always letting the others eat treat before she does sitting behind the scene all the time. I am giving them cat food for extra protein right now ....hope this passes quickly it is very cold outside.

Okay, I have a question. A few of my chickens are molting. I've been told to increase their protein in the diet. Today I bought a bag of all flock food with 18% protein to mix with the remaining bag of layer feed I have that is 16%. (Which there isn't too much left.) I also purchased a small bag of BOSS that says it has 15% protein. Is it okay to mix it all together? Would that be a good amount of protein added to help them get through their molt? Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
I feed an 18% all flock, my birds molted quickly and resumed laying in December. I also feed boss but I mix it 50/50 with cracked corn and feed it as my scratch, a bit in the morning and afternoon.

Finally I got my birds laying again even in this zero weather. I was told to give them whole corn and laying mash. I also give them cat food.

Thank yall. Mine have still been laying throughout the cold weather, with the exception of the molters. I've done the cat food before when I got a little hen once that was missing over half of her feathers. It sounds like I chose a good feed to get them through this. I think I will give them their BOSS in with their scratch treats I throw out once a day. They should love it. :)

My Hens are molting. Cadbury has stopped laying and won't let me pick he up . Is that normal?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom