Money poorly spent?

If you elevate it you still have the sq ft issue

the nest just have to be in a shady dark location

taking out the nest would maybe get you 3ish but it's still no where close to 12

12 what? Sorry confused. Do u mean 12 chickens? If so i didnt want that many i was looking for 3-4

Yeah ive come to realize i will not be raising meat birds in here. And just want to raise a couple hens to understand the process of raising chickens. Then once i get a firm grip on everything plan it out better and bigger. But i will use this time for learning and making what i have into something useful. Thanks for suggestion and help

There are sites you can buy a coop from it just takes a lot of research and math. A lot of the good coops you could buy are a lot of money.

Just keep in mind
  • 4 sq ft per bird in coop/ 10 sq ft per bird per run (standard size bird)
  • where the bird will poop
  • how you will access the eggs
  • how you will clean it
  • how predators will try to steal your stuff for a free meal.
  • how will it breath

This chicken breed selector quiz can help determine breed http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx

My Pet chicken specializes in small orders of chicks.

My backyard chickens has a lot of coop designs. See if you can find local coop designs to figure out what works in your area. For example, my area has tons of open coop designs because my area has a of summers where 100+ is normal but little to no snow.

Last edited:
Just got back to this thread today. In my experience, I have heard nothing but bad things about Chicken Saloons....both dimension "extensions" (if you know what I mean) high costs, and low quality. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Last edited:
Yea moon shadow that the consensus i found bout chicken saloon. Which sucks because when i did google reviews they were good. But i guess the chicken salon people flooded the internet with good reviews or something (its a conspiracy) haha.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice, suggestions, and criticisms. I appreciate the honest feedback.

I will still try to incorporate this into a small coop for a few chickens (2-4) and tweek it a little and build around this unit. Once i get the hang of raising a few chickens i will build something a little more respectable and most importantly practical.

I will not continue this thread as its beating a dead horse but if anyone has any suggestions on how to modify it whether it be elevate it (thanks ridge runner) or other uses for it when i build a better coop like a quarantine (thanks blue frog) please feel free to add that here. Trust me it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. Ill start new thread when i get everything psuedo-build with fencing and stuff.

Last edited:
Yes, by all means...incorporate it and get something out of it.

It might not only be the Chicken Saloon people plugging it online, but if they have affiliates and dealers, they might be plugging it. I have been doing online sales for over 10 years. You'd be surprised with the "recommendations" out there. People even set up "Review Sites" to review the products they sell...giving stellar reviews for garbage products. Then, when you click their link, it's their affiliate link and they make money off you from bogus recommendations.

Let us know how you make out.

If you rearrange the roost bars and make them removable for easy clean, and get rid of 2 out of 4 of the nest boxes you may be able to get a better coop

Roost bars are simply a ladder to get to the highest spot. Try to get the roost bars on the opposite side of the nest boxes

This is"barred rocker" coop roost system

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/barred-rockers-chicken-coop

Also cover the windows with hardware cloth and the former nest boxes as well. Or you could make the former nest boxes into a water food station.

Last edited:
Just a thought...why don't you send it back and ask for a refund? Or, if it hasn't shipped yet you might be able to cancel the order. You may have to pay return shipping, but the fact that they're advertising that it holds WAY more hens than it actually does should be reason enough for them to refund your money. If it had been used then they probably wouldn't give you a refund, but if it's unopened and can be resold I don't know why they wouldn't.

I agree! It's false advertisement and any big ticket item like that surely comes with a refund policy. You might lose a little money on the deal in shipping but not as much as taking receipt on an inadequate poultry house situation, the cost of which could build you a massive coop if you were to build your own.

I agree ive tried to call but cant seem to get an answer. In order to send it back i have to have address. The package has arrived it still in slc, Utah which is near the company or distribution center. I know this cause tracking it was orginally picked up vineyard, Utah.

The situation just sucks and i wanted to stop the package there and send back so the shopping cost would be minimal. But cant seem to get response from company.

Well yea sorry bout the rant. Hopefully i hear from them soon. If not I'll take it at lesson learned. Thanks for all the help everyone

Back
Top Bottom