Montana

Pics
Good morning my fellow Montanans! Looks like winter is very close! I have a few more potatoes to dig. My tomato plant is close to the house and still doing ok. I have been covering it though. It is loaded with green tomatoes. I had a friend tell me you can put green tomatoes in a paper sack with a ripe one or a banana and they will ripen quickly. Has anyone tried this? I think I will later today.

Quote:
You have to have your entry post marked by tomorrow. Here is a link to a contact, maybe they can fax you an entry form.

http://www.montanapoultryfanciersassociation.com/ClubInfo.html

If not PM me and I will fax you a copy of my entry.

And, if there is anyone out there near the Sweetgrass area please pm me as a lady from Canada came and got some birds from me on Tuesday. At this time, the idiot at the Canada border will not let her pass and she has all the documentation.

Anyway she may have to leave 48 birds today and go home. Is there anyone that could help me out???????

Last edited:
Quote:
What i do with green tomatos is layer nespaper in a shallow box and put tomatos so they are not touching then anothe layer of nexpaper and another layer of tomatos. This is how my mother did it and it works good.

I have a recipe for green tomato pie if your interested and it is great.

Quote:
What i do with green tomatos is layer nespaper in a shallow box and put tomatos so they are not touching then anothe layer of nexpaper and another layer of tomatos. This is how my mother did it and it works good.

I have a recipe for green tomato pie if your interested and it is great.

That sounds like good idea. I am going to try it! Thanks! Also I would love the recipe when you get time.
droolin.gif

Hi to Montanans, just joined and just got some chickens. Love this site, love watching those goofy chickens! Thanks for starting the "Montana" where am. I am in Winston, near Helena. Built my coop from an old shed that was next to the house I just bought. Have a little learning to do, got a big snow today, they didn't leave the coop (no footprints, or whatever it would be called with chicken feet) Guess they stay in when it snows. Will check back, keep talking! And... I have tried the paper bag persuasion for green tomatos. Ummmmm.... it kinda worked. Not all changed, but some did, and thats better than none. Good Luck, you lucky women with tomaters.

Last edited:
Hi Chicken Woman, thanks for starting the Montana thread. My little flock started with 3 birds my boss did not want, 2 black cochin banty roosters, they are cute little guys, and a black hen. I posted her pic here, and I believe the concensus was mix. She is not laying yet, though the others he got at the same time are.
Then I bought 3 barred rocks, not realizing they were only 6 weeks old, now 12 weeks. And because I wanted some that were laying I bought 4 more, I think a buff orpington, and a buff mix (cause her egg is deeper tan than the pure orpington) and 2 EE's. I had no idea what they were til I started visiting here. They lay blue green and olive green. So for a newcomer, and it being winter, and they are all settled in.... I will leave it at the 10, come spring I will order more. After having become a member of BYC, I am probably going to look for interesting breeds, when I wanted chickens, I didn't care, or really know, the difference! Here is a pic of the black Raven....unknown... how bout you? your tag says looking for silkies... have you found any?

40724_009.jpg

Quote:
She looks like a black austrolorp to me. I have 2 of them and and they are nice layers. Thr blue green hue to the feathers are pretty in those birds. They are pretty gentle and mine like to be held.
I have a showgirl (cross turken/silkie) but no silkies as of yet. Different breeds are hard to come by in Montana.

I have 3 buff turkens,2 black austrolorpes,1 buff chatelier,2 light brahma's,2 ISA browns,1 showgirl,one bantam rosecomb,and one unknown that was supposed to be a chantelier but is not.. All hens.

You will learn alot on this sight and the book Chicken's for dummies is awsome. Co written by the owner of this sight . It can be purchased here or on Amazon.com.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom