Montana

Pics
Welcome dawny2u2! I am in Conrad, about 55 miles from Great Falls. So glad you joined us.
wee.gif

Quote:
No, but my brother lives near there.
hmm.png
I am hoping to be able to visit him within the next year or two. I would love to see Montana!

smile.png
Hi everyone,

I am working through the AmeriCorps on a poultry project with a group in Livingston. We are trying to assess the need for poultry producers and backyard growers in Montana. If you don't mind answering a few questions, I'd really appreciate it. You can reply in private as well.

When you have chicken-related questions, what resource(s) do you turn to?
Do you feel that the resources available are meeting your needs?
If a new state-wide organization aimed at backyard growers was created, what would you like to see?
Do you think you would utilize the resources of such a group? If not, please explain.
If so, would you be willing to pay either an annual fee and/or on an as-needed basis to attend trainings or use processing equipment, etc?

If you have any comments on the poultry movement in Montana and where you might like to see it going, please add those as well.

Thank you!

Anyone in Montana or Wyoming raising old english ? If so i am interested in some hatching eggs or young hens if you have some to sell.

I'm in victor, in the Bitterroot Valley, I have 15 pullets i guess thats what you call em 4 plymouth barred rocks, 3 leggerns, 4 RIR, 2 easter eggers, 2 stars kind of new to this but i know i love it and my girls,they are great,they were kind of stand offish but now they follow me all over the yard, i also have 2 nubian goats... glad to talk to everyone jim..

smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
Hi all!! Checking in from beautiful (and chilly this morning!) Belt, Montana! I purchased my first "peeps" this spring: 3 Silver-laced Wyandotts, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Australorps (1 pullet and 2 roosters!), and 4 Guineas. Then a coworker surprised me with a turkey chick on my birthday. "Herbert" has been gifted with a temporary stay of execution as I don't have all the equipment necessary to process him. Truly enjoying the whole crew and their antics, not to mention the eggs they so nicely provide my husband and I. I'm hoping to add some Buff Orps, Ameraucanas and more Guineas in the spring. The coop I started building the weekend before our 29 April snow storm is still unfinished, but the gang has been happily utilizing a plastic garden shed I bought for them. Depending on our wind, they tend to wander all over the property. I was really concerned about letting them free-range as we're out in the open "wilds" and have plenty of coyotes and fox, but I haven't lost one yet. I lock them in the coop at night, not wanting to really push my luck!

If any of you are in the area, let me know! This forum has been such a font of knowledge for me, and I always come here first when I have questions. Would be great to meet some of you in person!!

Happy chicken ranching!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom