Moscovies. Just brought home

Thank you very helpful. They seem to be more comfortable. They know that I'm the one who brings the treats! I'm going to adjust the nesting area for more privacy like you suggested. Do you think that there should be a separate best per hen?

They are eating laying pellets and corn, oats and peas because it still gets down in the 20s at night. I am up in northern Montana. Any suggestions ?

Thank you very helpful. They seem to be more comfortable. They know that I'm the one who brings the treats! I'm going to adjust the nesting area for more privacy like you suggested. Do you think that there should be a separate best per hen?

I have laid a piece of plywood up against the side of the inside house and secure so it doesn't fall on them. They will use it I have some stalls too for my ducks One of my Muscovy's likes to get in the chickens nest box to lay her eggs this is a covered cat litter box they make great nest boxes for chickens and this one loves the cat boxes. Not ideal for brooding though since it's off the ground.Even a spare enclosed dog crate make a good nest box take the door off.
They are eating laying pellets and corn, oats and peas because it still gets down in the 20s at night. I am up in northern Montana. Any suggestions ?
Looks like a good diet so I think your covered with food. Just give them more time.

Last edited:
A nest! A nest! She made a nest
263a.png
. I can believe how excited l am.

Juvenile moscovy duck not eating much the past few days! Should I be concerned ?

A nest! A nest! She made a nest
263a.png
. I can believe how excited l am.[

Yesterday I discovered a nest with about eight eggs underneath the ramp leading to my shed. I can't tell if it's a group effort or if I have eggs from one bird. I think it may be a group effort because the eggs are different sizes, but it could just be a young bird starting her first nest

Edited to add

Looks like a group effort? Saw one of my chocolate girls on the nest while a tan/white girl lay nearby, under the coop. I know the tan/white girl is laying. I will toss some fresh hay under my second shed, and see if anyone takes up residence. They have a few dog crates available, but those don't seem very popular.

By the way, I have found good use from large wood apple bins used at orchards to collect fruit in the field. I bought a few distressed ones, and picked up a few donations. They are about 42" on a side and 36" deep. I have used them for brooders (with cardboard inserts) and for nesting boxes when laid on their sides and hay added for bedding.

Last edited:
No not really she won't let me get to close. But she seems to be preening and drinking she's just not interested in the grains that I toss to out. Every one else gathers around
1f610.png

Back
Top Bottom