Moscovies. Just brought home

Emichels,
If you are asking me about my birds, my five older birds, two drakes and three hens, were born early last June. They are certainly reproducing actively. I have four other birds, a drake and three hens that were born in early October. Just today I noticed that Drake mounting one of the girls. All of those birds are from a local breeder, and I got all of them as ducklings at 1 to 3 weeks old. I have six girls that are currently about eight months old that I bought as adults quite recently from another local farmer in order to better balance my drakes and hens. And I have one beautiful light blue drake about seven months old who was a gift from a neighbor. He was pretty seriously harassed by the other drakes initially and was very happy to see the six new girls but unfortunately has not made too much of an impression on them yet. Before I got my six girls I had four drakes and six hens, clearly an unbalanced group. I am keeping all four drakes for the time being for two reasons. One is that I want to keep boys who are good sires and throws healthy and well colored ducklings, and I won't be able to judge them for their reproductive treats for little while. Second, the two younger drakes are both blues and I like their color. I raise Muscovy for meat, and because I like the birds personalities, they seem more intelligent more personable more interesting than the Mallard derived breeds that I have raised over the last year. I like the blue and brown colors the best. I have a few white birds and a few classically colored blacks as well. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will do so.

Last edited:
In the reply box you will see the icons above the txt (B ,chain link, mnt. @). click mnt. Icon than up load from device,whalah pics
1f60a.png

Tried that, took forever, stopped process. May need to resize photos, no time now, sorry. I have 90 birds right now, more coming next week, very little time to do anything other then care for birds these days.

Well my ducks finally began to lay, one of them has any way, for about two weeks. I gathered the first week but the second week she started staying on the nest and only comes out for a while through out the day. So l haven't gathered for about 5 days and she has 5 eggs now. She is about 2 years old but I don't know if she was allow to sit on a nest t last year. Is she just protecting her nest or sitting on it? Should I gather until she was more put them back?

Last edited:
Well my ducks finally began to lay, one of them has any way, for about two weeks. I gathered the first week but the second week she started staying on the nest and only comes out for a while through out the day. So l haven't gathered for about 5 days and she has 5 eggs now. She is about 2 years old but I don't know if she was allow to sit on a nest t last year. Is she just protecting her nest or sitting on it? Should I gather until she was more put them back?

So my ducks finally started laying. At least one of them any way. It's been about 2 weeks. At first I was gathering the eggs but then she started staying in the nest. There's another 6 eggs now. Is she sitting on the nest or just protecting it?

So my ducks finally started laying. At least one of them any way. It's been about 2 weeks. At first I was gathering the eggs but then she started staying in the nest. There's another 6 eggs now. Is she sitting on the nest or just protecting it?
Is she getting off at all? My broody's come off the nest 1-2X a day the rest of the time they are sitting tight. Also does she have feathers lining the nest?

Yes she comes out for awhile in the after noon. And yes there are feather lining the nest. Every day she lays another egg. She's about 2 years. Im not sure if she was allowed to sit last year.

Back
Top Bottom