Most broody hen

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to close off the coop, lol. Probably because I dont have a door to the coop. It's always open to the covered enclosed run area. The girls come and go as they please. I just pulled her off the nest again. I carried her over to the other end of the run and gave her some apple cinnamon cheerios. I blocked off the door to the coop. Hopefully a few hours locked out will make her forget she wants to sit in the nest.

Last edited:
I don't know why it didn't occur to me to close off the coop, lol. Probably because I dont have a door to the coop. It's always open to the covered enclosed run area. The girls come and go as they please. I just pulled her off the nest again. I carried her over to the other end of the run and gave her some apple cinnamon cheerios. I blocked off the door to the coop. Hopefully a few hours locked out will make her forget she wants to sit in the nest.

With my persistent broody, I removed her from the nest and coop every single day for 3 weeks before she gave up. I will be investing in a wire cage the next time I don't want her broody.

If they've been attempting to brood much longer than a day they will not break the spell with only taking them off the nest. That only works if you catch them in first few days and continually take them off. At 3 days of attempting to set your only annoying them and letting them break themselves which without eggs can last a long time. They need to be forced without a nest all day for 3 to 4 days to break them earlier than they are ready to give up. They can go into coop at night still but first thing in the morning must be kept outside all day. The collapsible wire kennels at job lots or other inexpensive place are invaluable if you don't have a penned in area to contain them in the day to break them. In reality just a small circular fence to contain them days would work too. If you've garden fencing with push in posts type thing just make a make shift small run inside your run and put the broody with food and water there each day from first light to putting her back in coop at night and repeat for four days would break her.

Last edited:

This is what I came outside to! She was out of the coop most of the day. I will be blocking the coop off again tomorrow I guess!

Back
Top Bottom