Most Expensive Chicken In The United States & The Most Sought After Breeds We Don't Have In America

+1 - as I was editing my post to add that very sentiment.  There's evidently exists some sort of pretentiousness in the poultry world that defies genetics and such.  Going back to Ameraucana Breeders - it kills me that a factually proven purebred Ameraucana can be bred to a factually proven Ameraucana of another color, yet these guys insist the offspring isn't a factual Ameraucana because they result in a feather coloring that isn't deemed acceptable by one organization or another...

It's not deemed purebred, because the birds won't reproduce in a consistent manner. In poultry, breed is not determined by parentage.

Last edited:
Oh I get about unacceptable colors.

I'm a huge Egyptian mau fanatic but only 3 colors are acceptable for show. Smokey, silver and the traditional color (which I think is called gold?!)

But then there is non standard colors (which are accidents from crossing standard colors) they are blue and black (but they can still be identified as maua since their spots are matte while the base fur is glossy)

So regular maus are sold at $800-900

Show quality around a grand and unacceptable colors are still about $500. They still chortle and play fetch like a mau, so their a mau and can still win best pet cat like any mixed breed.

In any case the cattery won't issue your papers (even for unacceptable colors)until the kitten is altered because God forbid you cross your black with your blue and get a sellable silver.

There's allegedly a lavender in one cattery which I'm super excited about. Lol. It's like my magical unicorn color for the cat.

It's not deemed purebred, because the birds won't reproduce in a consistent manner. In poultry, breed is not determined by parentage.

Right. I think the absurdity of that was the point of my and @GoldApps post reflecting that practice. I think we all get the point of standards (to a degree) but I also think it's a very small percent of people who own poultry that even remotely care for them. The conflict seems to come from whichever school of thought you subscribe to. I've never cared for or about, the angst over some of the purebreed groups (earlier examples in earlier posts). Americana/Ameraucana - Same theoretical bird, but feathering DQs one (from shows I agree with, from lineage I'm still not sold on - logic and all) - however you feel about that though, it's highly unlikely that these pool of birds ever see each other. Those who care about shows and standards will have a market as will those who don't. Somewhere along the lines, those who do often try to lord over those who don't. I have birds from both quality and don't care either way - for the record.

In any case gold apps are not apa approved yet. We must breed out the backward comb to aways only have the forward comb. This will put things in the right direction towards certification.

Would I still love my reverse comb? Yep. But I wouldn't sell them. I'd gift them as ornamental bug eaters. I'd say they are non standard gold apps. Maybe with the right mama they could theoretically make the forward comb? Not sure.

5.5 lbs is also an acceptable weight for coq au Vin. Not sure I'd do that as they are so pretty.

Maybe I'll learn caponizing, to make the "wrong" roosters fatter for dinners.

Back
Top Bottom