most friendly breed?

I have 2 Dominiques-got them at 3 days old.They have always been super sweet and like to be held.They are now a year old and very pretty.My Easter Egger has always been skittish and hates to be held.

I think Sultans are super friendly and not too skittish. As chicks they can be skittish but when mature they seem to let nothing bother them. Some of mine have been lap birds but some have not. So it's really about the birds personality in the end.

Brahmas can also be friendly and approachable.

I think most breeds could be friendly i think raising them when chicks makes a big difference, if you handle them a lot when they are young they will be more friendly when older.

It's a toss up with EEs. Have 2 out of 3 that will come up to you allow you to pick them up. The 3rd doesn't want anything to do with people and catching her is a chore. THe rest of the flock is fairly friendly. Really It's only the one EE that is skittish.

With my first batch that I raised from chicks, I played with them, sat with them, petted them yet when they were grown they barely tolerated me. I had cochins, brahmas, black sex linked, red sex linked and easter eggers. Of all of them one of the three easter eggers was slightly more friendly. None of them were ever aggressive with me. More like teenagers that can be bothered.

thanks for the suggestions!

I will probably wait a month or two to get the new chickens as i have three rirs that have just been added to my flock and i don't want to overwhelm the flock

I will get one wyandotte and one easter egger! i really want an easter egger for the egg color (i sell eggs and having the color would add a pop to the sale eggs) but i also really want a lap chicken (where the wyandotte comes in).

if anyone knows of someone in georgia or the surrounding areas that have those types i would love any suggestions. i don't want to patronize hatcheries but i honestly don't know where to go
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom