Most friendly chicken breeds

(We were newbies last year with these breeds. Here's my input:)

Cochins! I have a bantam cochin named Cleo and we love her!! She lets us pick her up and is very fluffy!
tongue.png

We also have bantam Plymouth/Barred Rocks. It may have been the way we raised them with all the kids from the neighborhood coming and picking up/petting the chicks sometimes, but we have this one (named Pepper) who will settle down in my arms when I pick her up.

Last edited:
I have some RIR's, Auracannas, and Barred Rocks hens and by far my sweetest birds are the RID's and Auracanna.. I picked all these breeds after researching the best to keep with children and more as pets.. The Barred Rocks are sweet as well and they all come to me and sit with me but my Rhodies are by far the sweetest..

Of all the breeds I have had the friendliest by far have been the speckled sussex and cochins.
The sussex follow us throughout the yard, allow all of my children and their friends to pick them up, eat out of their hand, will come up on their own to jump in your lap or sit on the porch swing with you. (in fact some of our Sussex are supreme lap jumpers and will take any opportunity to sit on you)

The silkies are mellow, calm, but do not run up to be held or jump in your lap if you are sitting down.

The australorps (black) and orpingtons, (buff and lavender) were all calm, would come up to be near you, didn't fuss when picked up up, but not as super snuggly as the sussex. the australorps in new england at least have been a little bit hardier and start laying a bit earlier than the orpingtons.

Jersey Giants were calm, friendly when handled as babies, but not overly social and my neighbour complained that they were unfriendly to his grandkids. Although I have no complaints about them, they are not a breed I will get again.

Barred rocks, white rocks, Buff rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Delawares, red sex links and comets I have had very mixed results, some friendly, some especially a barred rock hen or 10 have been mean. much more assertive in the coop when compared to the sussex, brahmas and australorps while others, especially a couple of the barred rocks, were very sweet.

Brahmas (light, dark, buff), steady and calm, friendly

Easter eggers, mostly friendly, but a little more independent, and flighty when compared to the extremely docile and calm orpingtons, brahmas and sussex

Polish, wyandottes, wellsummers, barnvelders, dominique's, sicilian buttercup, Andalusians, brown leghorns, silver spangled hamburgs, were neither overly friendly or mean, some were friendlier if handled more as babies.

The only chickens we have had trouble with have been a couple of really mean barred rock hens, A Malay rooster, one rhode Island red hen, old english game and campines. The campines were not very big, but the roosters would launch attack. the Old english both hens and roosters needed a lot more space to prevent aggression, and were never overly friendly, though the old english roosters were incredibly curious and bold. Fun to watch.

New this year will be Langshans, and Buckeyes. I am very much looking forward to the Langshans. My neighbour down the road aways has raised them for a couple of years now and loves their sweet temperment and chocolate brown eggs.

We have been doing chickens for 20+ years flocks ranging from 12 to 60 chickens.

We now maintain a steady flock of Speckled Sussex by far our favourite with their sweet temperment, good foraging ability, cold weather tolerant and they seem to genuinely enjoy playing with my children. We also add variety with other breeds to keep it interesting. favourites include brown leghorns and Easter eggers for mixed colour eggs, and brahmas and silkies for beauty and broodiness.

If anyone has suggestions on fun breeds to try, please let me know, the family is always interested to try new breeds.

Was just reading through all of this, it seems barred rocks and buff orpingtons are mentioned the most, I was planning on getting barred rocks and australorps eggs and raising them from chicks, what I'm really after is a hen that will let me pick it up and pet it and even snuggle

Was just reading through all of this, it seems barred rocks and buff orpingtons are mentioned the most, I was planning on getting barred rocks and australorps eggs and raising them from chicks, what I'm really after is a hen that will let me pick it up and pet it and even snuggle

Our ameraucanas will let you pick then up and settle right down and like to be petted.
They are pure ameraucanas from a breeder.
The hatchery easter eggers have not been as calm at all.
Our buff orpingtons will run up to us first but dont like to be held at all.
I have heard australorps are very calm and friendly. But havent had any yet:)

Thanks :) I've decided to get brahma and australorp eggs for hatching, I'm still looking for any other breed that is also very sociable with humans and likes to be picked up :)

My barred rocks and Buff Orpingtons fight who gets to be picked up and held first lol. My buff brahmas are very patient and sweet they wait their turn to be held. My ee still scream when I pick them up!

Great thread, I'm not sure if it was the fact that he was the only guy that hatched from my first try at incubating, or if it is a breed thing, but my laced Orpington was the friendliest chicken I've ever owned. It was insane how he enjoyed being petted even on the back, and would beg to be picked up, then preen and nest on my leg...I miss him...

My faverolles are very friendly clowns, timid, but they don't like to be handled. My reds are standoff-ish and a bit Mean...they may end up in freezer camp some day.

I had to sell the pretty Orpington since we have a HOT summer climate and I want my roo to be a bit less "puffy", for flock health during our 100 degree summers. Still I wonder if I did the wrong thing, I know they like friends, but I may hatch a single egg again just to experience a chicken with a dog's personality again.

Back
Top Bottom