most wanted chickens?

IMHO, The chickens you should raise should probably be the ones you know and like best or you may end up with nothing better than a hatchery chick. You may be very disappointed if you just jump into the latest fad. Chickens vary so much that certain breeds may not fit your personal needs and that would make owning them not a fun thing. To breed quality, you have to understand the standard for that particular breed as well.

As an example, I wanted a few cochins to have around for broodies. Well, I don't really know much about cochins/showing cochins, etc. I went to a breeder this weekend and bought an older trio. I also got a great education about cochins and looking for quality and how to cull for breeders. He has 300 chicks in his brooder right now. He said he will cull those down to 20-25 keepers at the most, based on a lot of different characteristics that he is looking at. He sells the others as "culls" or "pet quality".

I guess my point is, it isn't really fair or smart to start breeding just to breed. You need to know what your doing. By asking the question "I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the most sought after breed of chicken is so that I could start breeding them" tells me a little more thought may need to go into your breeding program.

I got mine from
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/
I
usually get all my chicks there. I got an assortment, and ordered 2 silverlaced chicks, and I got 3 so I am hoping for a rooster in the bunch!
I also got a turken, pretty ugly, but maybe so ugly it is cute! And I got a cochin, only 1, I hear they are pretty good too. Silkies are good, my friend has them but has had trouble hatching them out.
Guineas sell good to, my husband just bought some at a sale, 30 bucks for a pair.

Any point of lay (POL) pullet will be in demand. I usually ask $15 for mine which are in lay or just starting. With feed prices going up, I think $20 is fair this season.

I took over the egg bussiness from my mom a couple years ago and she had always raised Golden Comets and Newhampshires. When I took over I added silver laced wyandottes and Araucanas. They have always laid better than the birds that my mom raised.

My oldest silver laced wyandottes and Araucanas are five years old and they are still laying everyday.

Depends on what your looking for. I have noticed Delawares catching some interest lately and they are a great dual purpose bird. I am on the waiting list with Ideal as we speak.

Same goes for the Welsummers and even Buff Orpingtons which aren't available till June.

I'd say anything "blue"! They are so pretty and very sought after (by me anyway!!!
lau.gif
)

Whatever you breed, you would be best off if you learn as much as you can about them before you start. And get your breeding stock from a very reputable dealer. I used to breed and raise horses and your babies won't be any better than your breeding stock. So you want to only breed the very best!

Back
Top Bottom