most wanted chickens?

Cuckoo Marans are HOT and cost accordingly, but I LOVE THEM and they are HUGE chickens, make really interesting sounds, etc. My Cuckoo Marans cockerel is already the Alpha. Even the tough leghorns are scared of him.
lol.png

I got my CM and Silver Laced Wyandottes from Murrary McMurray, as well. I also have some sweet black turkens and GIANT Americaunas from them that are EXCELLENT.

Last edited:
Quote:
My Cuckoo roo rules around here, too...but I think it's my husband that's most scared of him!!
lol.png
Poor DH knows better than to get too close to that roo's girls now, after his leg met with the roo's rather long spurs....

I second (or third??) the posters who said 1) buy the breed of bird that you like and 2) only breed the best. I think that those two factors are what will outlast any fad. I have Cuckoo Marans and Ameraucanas, two of the more popular breeds right now, but I got them before they were "hot" just because I was really interested in them (I'm sure what attracted me to them is what has attracted so many others as well!). I would have to recommend searching out reputable breeders and quality bloodlines for your stock. Hatchery birds are great to add breeds you want to your flock as layers or meat birds, but if you are going to breed you just aren't going to get the genetic material you need to breed quality birds from hatchery stock (or, as is the case with Ameraucanas, you won't even get the breed you want). Join breed clubs, go to shows, etc. Ask questions of anyone who will listen--the good breeders are almost always willing to offer their knowledge and support!

If you start with good birds, learn all you can, and work carefully with them to breed as close to that breed's standard as possible, I think that there will always be a market for your birds with others who share the same interest in that breed.

Last edited:
Thats odd, maybe its a breed thing. We bought a maran hen from someone that got her from Ideal and the instant we turned her loose she started attacking the barred rocks and within that dau she was on the top of the pecking order.

I tend to think mostly in terms of birds seen at shows & without a doubt the Old English Game Bantams are almost always the largest class followed somewhat closely by Cochin Bantams.
That said the tone of your origionmal post suggests that you think you might make money on a backyard chicken endeavor-most likely you won't.

Back
Top Bottom