Mothers Day chicken murder... and rant

Quote:
Ah I understand what you are saying now.
smile.png

Yes I do agree relationships are the most important thing in the world. Part of a relationship is mutal respect and compromise. I feel the OP compromised when she allowed her DD the benefit of the doubt and allowed her daughter not to kennel the dog when they were away. However in light of one chicken being injured and another one dead in the last 2 days, I think the dog has proven nor to be trustworthy and that the DD needs to respect her mother by getting a kennel or finding a new home for the dog. Respect goes both ways.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ah I understand what you are saying now.
smile.png

Yes I do agree relationships are the most important thing in the world. Part of a relationship is mutal respect and compromise. I feel the OP compromised when she allowed her DD the benefit of the doubt and allowed her daughter not to kennel the dog when they were away. However in light of one chicken being injured and another one dead in the last 2 days, I think the dog has proven nor to be trustworthy and that the DD needs to respect her mother by getting a kennel or finding a new home for the dog. Respect goes both ways.

Agreed

Completely agree here. I also have a chicken eating dog that is "trained" to leave the chickens alone. Of course, she does when we are around because she would be dead if she didn't. On Mother's Day she killed and ate half of my favorite little pullet that was just over a month old. I cried my eyes out and threatened to kill her myself. My husband had to talk me down. The worst part is that this dog, we knew, was not trustworthy with the chickens. She was in a crate!! The little pullet got out and somehow got too close to the crate, possibly stuck her head in to say hello, being the little curious sweetie she was and was savagely murdered. I love my dog but can't look at her at the moment. This isn't the first time she's killed and it will not be the last. I don't care what anyone tells you, a dog like this cannot be trained. I am not suggesting that you get rid of the dog but I definitely think the dog should be restrained somehow when she is not supervised. Your daughter needs to be told, the dog needs to be locked up and she needs to be responsible for her dog or the dog is gone!!

Quote:
The dog is not going to be able to be trained to leave the chickens alone, been there done that and it's hopeless and many other people on here will tell you the same. Sounds like the dog should be rehomed OR buy her a cage, a very secure cage when she is outside, I myself have a chicken killing dog and have had to make changes so that my chickens are safe, it can be done BUT the day will come when even being careful is not a guarantee.

Is your coop open and do you have a fenced in run? Do you have a door that you lock to keep the chickens in at night or when you aren't home? I have a German Sheperd that lived in the same area with the chickens for 4 years. She never bothered them and growled at my other dog when he came near the chickens. One day, my silver bantam disappeared. I found some feathers in my yard where the dog and chickens live. I thought a hawk had come in the yard and taken her away. A few weeks later, I found my dog eating another one of my chickens. I have since fenced the area off, keeping the dog away from the chickens. I don't know why she changed and we've had her since she was a puppy so I won't get rid of her. I haven't had anymore problems with the dog. Now I have a fox thats been sneaking into my yard. Can't win!!!

As long as the daughter is under your roof, she must show you respect and live by your rules. Therefore, she has two options: Buy a kennel for the dog and be responsible OR move out and take the dog. This ain't my first rodeo. (Dr. Phil and Madea)

Quote:
He may have gotten loose 10 mins before they got home and had they gotten home later they may have all been dead, I speak from experience, believe me I wish I didn't , I LOVE dogs but once they will kill critters they Always will

Quote:
Quote:
The dog obviously killed one and was working on the second one, that we know of so far.

We already tried the compromise and as soon as she got loose(was tied up like always when chickens are out) while we were gone she attached my chickens.

MY relationship with m 19DD is not in question. And my chickens are not JUST pets they provide us with food. The dog does not but obviously will attack and eat my chickens.

My 13DD was so upset that she cannot even look at the dog. And she loves Sofie,the dog, but wants her put up ie in a secure kennel not just tied up or gone.
this is causing issues between the two girls but these days what doesn't.

First l I KNOW it was the dog as we caught her in the middle of trying to kill a chicken. kinda hard to be innocent when you are standing there with a full size grown hen in your mouth.

Second we all have been working with her and training her obviously when given the chance even with training she has the instinct to kill.

Third she is not tied up all the time I have a large fenced in back yard where previously only my chickens and smaller dog(1/2 pug 1/2 wiener) have free ranged for their entire life.

Fourth I compromised when the chickens are out the dog is tired to the cloths line with ample area access to food water ect. She has eaten part of my lilac bush witch is not ok but it is within her "run" area so it is expected to a degree.
When the dog is loose I keep the chickens penned up in their runs.
In other word I take turns with the free ranging even though my chickens were here first and they provide us with food (eggs Meat ect) The dog does nothing but eat and poop with no benefit to the house hold. other than love.

I have done nothing yet as I am down with my back and cannot deal with it. And I am trying to decide what to do. Obviously she, Sofie the dog, can NOT be trusted around the chickens.
DD19 said in the heat of the moment to just take her to the pound because she would not buy a kennel. She is rarely home and really does nothing with "her" dog. DD13 and I do 99% of the dogs care and love. So yes we love Sofie, but I will not keep my chickens penned up because of her.

Quote:
That is fine as long as she realizes it WILL happen again, I am so careful with my dog and despite that things happen, a chicken gets out and he sees it before me....personally I don't think dogs should be tied out anyway, caged for part of the day fine, but tied out all the time is no life, maybe the dog would be better in a home he can run and enjoy life...I don't blame the dog

She is only tied up out side to the close line with plenty of room food water and a very large shade tree I might add. when the chickens are out, I do not believe chickens should be "penned up" all the time either. Sofie and the chickens alternated being "free" in the yard which I might add is very very large compared to allot of "yards". I have a 24ft round pool, deck, fruit trees, liliac bushes, a large shade tree, grape vines, a small garden/storage shed, 2 water hydrants,a 8x8 chicken coop with fenced in smaller run, a 4x4 ish smaller coop and attached small run, 2 rabbit hutches, ect. so what I call my Yard is not really a "yard" So their is plenty of room to "run and play and enjoy life" but when chickens are out she needs to be confined more secure, obviously, if that is what we decide to do. maybe I should say a large cage? like 10x10 fencing, ect. But DD would have to contribute to it significantly.

She is to large for any of the cages I have and I don't think being caged in a small cage all day is right, I tied her out and she has plenty of room to "run " around, The type of kennel I mean is like the large outdoor pen type kennel that is like 10x10 0r something like that) not a bed type kennel.

I do not "BLAME" Sofie, she is a dog and dogs do what dogs do. You can't train instinct out of all dogs. She is a very loving very LARGE dog that is only 8 months old. So she is still mostly a pup with the build of an adult dog.

Back
Top Bottom