mottled houdans

There is an exhibition line of Houdans in the upper mid-west that was originally bred and shown by Barb Piper. They still win today and are of very good type and color. Most likely you can see them at the Crossroads show this coming October in Indianapolis, Indiana. There are also a very few white houdans in existence but they were almost lost until the SPPA stepped in and broke the flock up to several breeders. You'll have to check with the SPPA as to where and how they are progressing.
Rightly so, the mottled houdans need our help in being brought back to the standard description. Most lack type and the color is very poor. Coloring should have a white tipped feather in percentage to solid black feathers, in other words not all the feathers will be mottled, but to have solid white feathers is a serious defect if not a disqualification. I don't have my standard handy at the moment. Check the American Poultry Association yearbook and look in the section for master exhibitor points to find the persons who have standard mottled houdans and go from there. If they are showing and winning with them then they are the persons to buy from. I believe the fellow who has Barb Piper's line has an add in there and specifically talks about the houdans still winning their share. If I can find the yearbook I'll PM you his name and number.
You need to treat your new bird for scaly leg mites as he looks to have a bad case of them.

Bo

Quote:
Far as I remember, Barb Piper doesn't do poultry at all anymore.

However, Duane Urch is the only good source of LF Mottled Houdans, whom I believe relate to Piper's birds.

Quote:
Amen to the Feathersite comment. I salute Barry for collecting all the breed info & photos on the site but I wish he'd tried a little harder to find better examples of most of the breeds.

Quote:
Amen to the Feathersite comment. I salute Barry for collecting all the breed info & photos on the site but I wish he'd tried a little harder to find better examples of most of the breeds.

feathersite is nice for a general breed pic
i just laught that bird they showed be was a worse quailty bird then one i own lol

I think Bo was mentioning that those breeders had "Barb Piper's line" of birds. I dont think he mentioned that she was still breeding anything.
I had some great Mottled Houdans 25 years ago, they were exactly what I thought a Houdan should look like in coloration and size. Ah the things we wish we would have kept from our past.....
Maybe we will see a comeback of this beautiful breed. I would be willing to help if I could ever find stock that I actually thought was a Houdan.

I've got some pretty darn nice ones in bantam size, Jim Parker lines. They are a little white, but not crazy white , just a good mottling, not the big blotches of white like so many have now, and they are HOUDAN!! not polish mixes.

Back
Top Bottom