Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Good Morning,
I am new to Orpintons. I used to breed BBS Ameraucanas and Partridge and black mottled bantam Cochins. Now a few years and 1200 miles away I am starting over. My sister and I bought a bunch of chicks (30) at an auction which turned out to be a mostly Orpingtons in special colors. There were several Lavenders, Mottled and some Jubilee's/Calico's/Millie Fluer patterned birds. So far all of the young birds appear to be pullets, except two of the Lavenders. I have seen a few posts on BYC where breeders are working on Mottled Lavenders, but I would rather have a Mottled or solid Black rooster over these pullets eventually. I haven't thought about chicken genetics in several years, and I have never worked with most of these colors, so I am open to advice on genetics. I look forward to reading the posts on this forum.

smile.png

Spangle/Mottle hen (Spangle hen above is one of Cooper's daughter)
On our farm we have we have been breeding several "Spangle" daughters to help increase the bloodlines of the true Spangle bloodlines that carry the blood of what a true Spangle Orpingtons should look like. they carry the bloodlines
(hens and roosters) that carry bloodlines of the European Spangles. These European style carry less then white and more black in speckled. Today many of the Spangles show more white pattern then black. European Spangles carry less white. Today in the USA we are seeing what is called the "Spangle/Mottle which carries a large amount of white against the black compared to the Europe colored Spangle. Today we are seeing a very gradual amount of change. We all consider such small changes and look forward to improve on every any generation changes. The Spangle/Mottle we see today is a combination of many individuals such as Mr. Thomas Hommel of Germany who has made it his life to create and improve such a outstanding examples of soupier example of the beautiful Spangle/Mottle we see today. We look forward for many, many generations to come to be proud what his vision he has created.

Thank you...Thomas Hommel for you dedication to our special Orpingtons!

I've been raising mottled/spangled orpingtons for a year now and recently bought some chicks from another breeder. I was using the new rooster on my hens and I'm now seeing leakage on new chicks. Can anyone tell me if this is the result of breeding with jubilee's? This is a picture of the first chick I found with leakage. The brown feathers disappeared, or molted out before the chick was grown as I don't know which one it was on now.

Hi, just thought I would ask am I able to produce and more different colored molted Orps with the different colored Orps I have?

I have molted Orpingtons (black of course)

Other colored Orps I have
Chocolate Orps
Lavender Orps
Lavender cuckoo Orps
A red cuckoo orp
Maybe one blue orp just making sure she is not another blue type! Some eggs I was sold last year ended up not being pure!!! So just making sure on the last one.

Back
Top Bottom