Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

That looks like our hatchlings! :)
Yay!!!
big_smile.png
Thank you. I think it's the prettiest chick I've hatched. (Shhh... don't tell the Silkie folks.)

I have a question about spangled. I know that spangled is what we call mottled here in the US. A black bird with white tips. Is there a spangled that exists the other way around? White with black tips like in a spangled Hamburg?? And is this even possible and if so, how?

[
hit.gif
[/QUOTE] Obvious this is far from true...do your research in breeding in Europe with the Spangle and Jubilee. This is very important to cross these two colors together. This cross is done over and over to improve on the mottle color line. This information comes directly from Mr. Follows and other International breeders, as well as Thomas Hommel. These rumors only come from local American breeders not understanding the process what it takes to create and maintain these beautiful colors.

Last edited:
YES! The Word Spangle is only recognized in most of Europe for there Spangle Chickens. in England they introduced the word "Mottle" as they call them Spangle/Mottle for this color. Here in the USA we also use the word "Mottle", but if you were to place a Spangle chicken next to a Mottle chicken you would see the coloring is completely different. The Spangles are jet Black with little white markings. As the Mottle color is more of a blur of white bleeding into the black coloring. The correct way of breeding the Spangle/Mottle is to breed the coloring towards the Spangle in color (more black). As European judges do not recognize the Mottle color. In order to breed a true Spangle takes great patients. Further more it is very important to use a more Black rooster with hardly any white for this breeding. My farm breeds for the "Spangle" but like most cases, most people breed for whatever chickens are in front of them, lacking in select breeding. Hope this gives some insight! :)

Mottle/Spangle is a English well established domesticated and mush love bird. We can only take steps to assure this outs we treasure and care for many generations to come. This is only the b-beginning for many, We look for many generations to come!

Maureen c.jpg Mo and Missy .jpg Missy c.jpg these are my Mottled / Spangled orpingtons I got from a breeder here in Texas. As chicks, one was white with black angel wings and one was black with white mottles. As they grow, there is more mottling and both the white and the black are beautiful.

Kidcody with the help of Marc and.Bob Follows help bring the beautiful Spangle/Mottle to the United States of America.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom