Moveable chicken run

scottyp1holly

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2018
Shepherdsville, KY
I have 6 baby chicks right now and my coop is 4x5. I am looking at wanting to make my run 20x20 for them. But I would like to be able to move it on one side of the coop to the other side of my coop. The reason for this is I want to let them in my vegetable garden when I’m not growing. Any ideas on how I could make this happen.

You could use dog kennel panels to build it then take it apart when you want to move it. Anything in one piece that is 20'x20' would be too big to move. You could just fence both sides...

JT

BTW, once the birds are trained to respect it, this also works for crowd control.......it's what I use.

20170914_112200.jpg

Unless it's hot, they ignore it. Most will step on it as they walk past.

BUT....once it goes hot and they step on it and get zapped on the bottom of their foot......of those I've seen get it....most will launch about 5 feet in the air. After that, they fear it and will not cross it. They can easily hop over it, but most don't. As they are being trained they get out, and in a panic to rejoin the flock, they will pick up or hop back over to get back in, but not to routinely get out.

This seems to be the case with a lot of animals. They could easily jump over it, but once shocked, are reluctant to go airborne to find out what is on the other side as my guess is most assume when they come back down, a shock like the last one they got is waiting on them. Only way to avoid it for sure is to not cross over to the other side to find out. The negative reinforcement of a hot electric fence being that strong.

Back
Top Bottom