Moving outside

WVPrincess304

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
I have 6 chicks, 3 are estimated to be almost 5 weeks and 3 almost 4 weeks old they are Golden Comets, Rhode Island Red, Starlight Green Eggers, and Midnight Majesty Maran. They are currently in brooder in my spare bathroom. When can I move them outside? The lows they're calling for for next several weeks is 44° at night and 70° during the day.

I have 6 chicks, 3 are estimated to be almost 5 weeks and 3 almost 4 weeks old they are Golden Comets, Rhode Island Red, Starlight Green Eggers, and Midnight Majesty Maran. They are currently in brooder in my spare bathroom. When can I move them outside? The lows they're calling for for next several weeks is 44° at night and 70° during the day.
What kind of heat do they have now? Are they spending most of the time away from the heat? If they are nearly feathered out, they'll be just fine. Feathers for them are like us wearing a down coat all the time.

What kind of heat do they have now? Are they spending most of the time away from the heat? If they are nearly feathered out, they'll be just fine. Feathers for them are like us wearing a down coat all the time.
They have a heat lamp right now. It's pretty far away from them now and they don't seem to spend alot of time close to it now.

with those temps i have them in the garage by 10 days with a heat light ... by 2 weeks i move them to the 'tractor' during the warm hours of the day, then shuffle them back to the brooder at night and thats the routine till 4 weeks or so, then the tractor can be covered with a sheet at night .. we continue the shuffle routine, but now its (supervised at first) field trips in the yard and around the coop .. always keeping food supply regulated and used as a reward makes things easy .. by this point they go where you want them to without having to grab them ..eventually theyll find the coop is where to be ..

We brood in the run. So the chicks are now 6 weeks old. The MHP is now off. Two weeks ago we opened chick doors and the chicks introduced themselves to the big girls. Tonight I notice the chicks are sleeping in the coop on a stump that sits a bit below the roost. I will get better pictures tomorrow. Today reached 70f. The coop will probably get down to 45 F tonight.

Attachments

• EF09BC0A-9E6C-45CF-82C8-EA5F87F1D635.jpeg
    EF09BC0A-9E6C-45CF-82C8-EA5F87F1D635.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom