MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

Update at 2 weeks and two days old. This girl is friendly and loves to jump in your lap, but hates being picked up.

Keeping tabs on this as I have 7 of them coming from MPC the second week of June. They have a few left. I have toyed with trying to make a generation of these myself. But is it a blue breed roo over white egg hens? Or is it a white egg roo over blue egg hens? Or will it matter? I have a few Cream Legbar hens and would get a white egg roo to try a breeding experiment if it would work that way.

Keeping tabs on this as I have 7 of them coming from MPC the second week of June. They have a few left. I have toyed with trying to make a generation of these myself. But is it a blue breed roo over white egg hens? Or is it a white egg roo over blue egg hens? Or will it matter? I have a few Cream Legbar hens and would get a white egg roo to try a breeding experiment if it would work that way.

I believe either would work. It is like making olive eggers. Now what I'm not sure of, haven't gotten that far, so I'm just using the law of genetics, but I believe if you got onto the second generation and would breed SBEL's together you would get layers of both blue and white eggs but they should be good layers and pale blue would dominate 50%, then 25% both white and the darker color used to make the first progeny.

I believe either would work. It is like making olive eggers. Now what I'm not sure of, haven't gotten that far, so I'm just using the law of genetics, but I believe if you got onto the second generation and would breed SBEL's together you would get layers of both blue and white eggs but they should be good layers and pale blue would dominate 50%, then 25% both white and the darker color used to make the first progeny.

I've got an EE that lays green, so presumably crossing what's almost certainly a heterozygous SBEL rooster...

Would I wind up with 25% blue (Blue Homozygous), 25% Blue (Blue/white heterozygous), 25% Green (Blue/brown heterozygous) and 25% light brown (white/brown recessive heterozygous)?

Over the lighter brown egg layers, I'm assuming I'd have 50% brown, 50% white, and over like a Welsummer, maybe 50% Olive Egger, 50% brown?

Here's the green from the EE:

Meanwhile, here's Gustavo (SBEL roo) at 7 weeks- close up of the comb and a decent body shot showing those gray and pink feet!

2nd row of photos is Ethel (photo on the left) at 7 weeks- and photo on the right is Lucy at 7 weeks -- both are nearly identical- yellow feet, and what seems mostly like a green wash- I guess slate blue and yellow probably make green ...

Week 8 updated photos

Gus has started growing a little beard and his wing tips now cross (can be seen in the mirror image).
Both pullets are almost identical, nearly non-existent yellow combs, both about the same size.

SBEL Cockerel, 8 weeks old:

SBEL pullet, 8 weeks:
First picture from above, in between SBEL cockerel and Welsummer cockerel for size comparison
2nd pic, comb still little and yellow

I realize y'all have discussed this in a few weeks but I wish someone would have come to get me. I'm happy to answer questions about this cross. This is one of my personal favorites and I have many of them in my coop.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Hi Alex. I just got 7 of the Super Blues as chicks. As they seem to be a multiple bird cross, do you know if the eggs are fertilized by a blue egg breed rooster, would the resulting hens lay blue eggs or will there be a mix of colors? Just curious as I might have an Americana rooster developing.

Hi Alex. I just got 7 of the Super Blues as chicks. As they seem to be a multiple bird cross, do you know if the eggs are fertilized by a blue egg breed rooster, would the resulting hens lay blue eggs or will there be a mix of colors? Just curious as I might have an Americana rooster developing.
Congrats! You can either use a Super Blue rooster(pea comb) to continue breeding for the big blue eggs or you can use your Americauna rooster that you have developing. The AM could potentially bring down egg size in future generations.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Congrats! You can either use a Super Blue rooster(pea comb) to continue breeding for the big blue eggs or you can use your Americauna rooster that you have developing. The AM could potentially bring down egg size in future generations. 

Alex
My Pet Chicken

I believe Sea Wolf was asking if the Super Blue hens are homozygous for the blue egg color, or heterozygous. If you breed them to another blue egg laying bird (like an am.), will 100% of the offspring still lay blue eggs?

My super blues are on the way to me right now! Thanks for the thread! :)

Back
Top Bottom