Murray McMurray hatchery???????

After ordering from MM and My Pet Chicken. I will NOT order from My Pet Chicken again. I lost a Barnevelder the day after they arrived it foamed at the mouth and died. I have an expensive blue orp chick with a huge abscess between it's legs. I have another one, I forget the breed, with a big lump in it's breast on one side. They are not healthy chicks and are all pretty frail looking in comparison.

MM they are sturdy chicks I never lose any of them and they are all super healthy. Both have great service however if you make a change to your order MPC charges you for every little thing they can. MM doesn't.

I personally wouldn't ship eggs it seems pretty bad to shake the eggs up and the post office doesn't care. I have a friend who ordered the Icelandic chicken eggs and 2 hatched out of 12 and they were EXPENSIVE eggs. Now that could have been shaken during shipping or it could have been an incubator thing but they incubate all the time with great results. I dunno.

MM for the win, I have a heat pack every time and I have ordered here and there over 10 years. I've never had a problem with them.

FYI if anyone knows what to do about that chick's abscess please let me know I already posted it in another posting. I've never spent that much on a chicken before and I am a bit p.o'd at this hatchery.
Thanks!

OH and to
You are totally right my birds are feathering out a lot nicer than before but still 2 are pretttty bad lol again I don't care so much eggs are eggs and I like them. :)

Last edited:
B
I am new to chickens but decided to go with certain breeds that were cold hardy and McMurray Hatchery was recommended to me by a friend. Of course they are located in Iowa and I am up in Alaska so I was concerned about having them shipped. I had the 21 chicks (plus one free rare exotic) shipped just before Easter. They were hatched on Good Friday and shipped out that night. The following Saturday I received a call from the post office at 8pm saying they were ready for pickup. I rushed over to the post office to find that they were all alive and well and chirping up a storm in their tiny box.
The chicks were in shipment from Iowa to Alaska in just under 22 hours, even though the shipping label was listed for 3 day travel time. I had the chicks shipped to a post office that was open until 11pm weekends and even Easter Sunday (It was an hour away from my regular post office and right next to the airport) so I was prepared for a late call. Had I shipped them to my regular post office, they would have been sitting until Easter morning I'm sure.
Anyway, that was my shipping experience through McMurray. I would definitely go through them again:thumbsup

But YOU took special precautions by having them shipped to a different post office so you could get them earlier, if you hadn't done that and it had been entirely up to MM, your chicks would have been in their box for days and may not have fared well. I applaud you for using the faster post office.

Last edited:
Ive been ordering crom mmh for years. In the past 5 years over 800 birds. No joke.ive only had ONE shipping disaster and that was due to a new guy at my local post office that left my chicks in his hot truck instead of bringing them into the office like be was supposed to do. The post office lady was yelling at him when i got there. We opened the box to make him see the result of his lack of following the procedure for live animals. Mmh wasn't at fault obviously but they reshipped anyway, which i appreciated.

I just picked up an order for 147 chicks this morning and they shipped me an extra ten including a free male of every breed i ordered. Im THRILLED!! We needed new boys because we had to sell off my 3 year old boys due to temperament issues. They had to substitue my blue silkies with buffs so they doubled my order (10 instead of 5).

Ive never had any problems with mmh and thier birds are EXCELLENT quality. My friend does shows and seems to win something every year with her hatchery birds.

Also you should condr this if your anti hatchery but pro back yard breeder.... hatcheries are routinely inspected and birds are tested for diseases. They are required to be screeded for legal purposes. They also vaccinate chicks for you if you want. Most backyard breeders are never inspected. Thier birds are never screened and they dont usually vaccinate chicks. If they do have a disease most wouldn't admit it because they would think of it as a personal insult. The ONLY time i have ever had any issues with diseases came from a backyard breeder. She sold me sick chicks that then infeected all of the chicks i had just hatched. Now im more leary of backyard breeders! She cost me 160+ chicks.... and then denied any responsibility. Now we stick to hatching our selves or hatchery birds and we always quarantine EVERYTHING.

I woudn't order from them. Even if you order only hens, they will give you roosters and extras. Most of the hens you get will be roosters. So, I wouldn't advise ordering from them.

mmh is the best hatchery i have ordered from, this year i bought 11 chicks and they all were amazing! i got a free chick 2 for fun! she was a cuckoo maran rooster, but i had to get rid of him because he crowed at 3 months, i was planning on showing but do to H5N2, i can not, but that gives me something to look forward to this long winter! when we picked up our chicks the people were so nice and friendly! none of the chicks died, but my buff laced polish was killed by an animal in the night, besides that they are still all fine and healthy, being little chickens. so i am totally ordering from them in the future!!!
smile.png

I woudn't order from them. Even if you order only hens, they will give you roosters and extras. Most of the hens you get will be roosters. So, I wouldn't advise ordering from them.
I ordered 24 pullets and 2 cockerels from MM. I received 24 pullets, 2 cockerels, and my mystery chick that is a buff laced polish cockerel. I fully expected a couple of the pullets to be cockerels as they are only 90% sure on the sexing. I kept 9 pullets, the 3 cockerels, and shared the rest with friends. Got my first egg 2 weeks ago and now get 2 or 3 a day. Some of the pullets are not mature enough to lay yet.

Not true. Point blank. You can opt out of the free chick (usually male) and opt out of substitutions. You will get hens if you order hens. Ive ordered far more birds than most backyarders ever will.... by your statement then id have barns full of roosters...wrong! In 5+ years ive had THREE miss sexed birds. Thats THREE of over 800.

I have had good expiriences ordering from McMurray, both the mystery chicks I got were pullets. Lucked out I guess.

Back
Top Bottom