Murray McMurray hatchery???????

I bought 25 each Buff Orpingtons from them on three differnet occasions - May - 2009, Sept - 2010, and November - 2011. All have done great - follow directions, get them vaccinated, keep them warm (95 degrees first week, then drop 5 deg. per week for the next six weeks) and dry and clean water often.
Hawks have nailed a few in the field and a couple died after a year or so - about six months apart. Hardly McMurray's fault.

I am sure there are other good breeders but McMurray will be my choice.

Last edited:
It's only been a week since my order arrived from Murray McMurray hatchery, but all 30 chicks (28 ordered and 2 free silkies for warmth) were in great shape. They all look happy and healthy. They shipped from the hatchery on Friday, and arrived in Alaska on Sunday morning (which just happened to be Easter). Nothing ships to Alaska that fast so I was surprised and pleased with the order, I had been pretty worried about sending the poor little chicks through the mail. They put a little grow gel in the box for the chicks, this may be standard I don't know but it was nice.

Ordered 25. Got 27. All are alive and peeping. My only issue with them is I ordered all females, and my "free rare breed chick" is (I'm pretty sure) a male, lol. So not really an issue, I'm just going to be sad to see him go. He's beautiful.

Oh the "free rare breed chick"! I wanted to get one (ahh they mystery!) but I knew it would probably be a male so I declined it. Am going to have enough trouble if more than half of the silkies I have turn out to be male!

I ordered from McMurray several times and I have no complaints whatsoever. I haven't ordered recently (like in 5+ years) so I can't attest to the quality, but every time I've ordered all chicks arrived alive and healthy. I've gotten back into keeping chickens, and will likely order a few from McMurray.

I've had 3 orders of chicks from MM starting at the end of Jan. Lost a few from each shipment. It was almost always the smaller chicks. They refunded or replaced the chicks every time. The ones that made it look really nice, healthy ,strong. I know most of my losses were due to shipping. They just get too cold and start squishing each other to get heat. I watched as my one of my orders sat over a weekend 30 mins away ,because there wasn't someone there to let me pick them up. MM has great customer service, and I will be ordering from them again. So far I've ordered around 130-140 chicks between the 3 orders. We are happy with the selection too, it's fun to play the "who's who" game. Prices seem to be a bit cheaper than some of the other hatcheries. But it also depends on what breed you want. We're going to order BBW poults next month!!!!

I love McMurray's! I have gone wth them mostly for buff orfingtons and barred rocks and all the ones I have had have been very healthy and happy!

Back
Top Bottom