Muscovy Drake Genetics - Who to Keep?!

Looks like one of the whites is chocolate, by the colour of that crest (first picture, at the very front). I also love the markings on the one in the back right on the second picture. Lovely!

With neither of the drakes being solid (I don't consider white to be solid, it's the result of a double pied), all the offspring will be either white or pied. You have a chance at chocolates, for sure. Breeding the chocolate hens to a black male will give you males that are split to chocolate. This isn't visible, but if they breed, then their offspring have a chance of being chocolate females if bred to black.

Here, let me give you a few links. I apologize in advance and take no responsibility for the addiction that will follow, lol!

https://www.muscovyduckdynasty.com/colors-patterns

https://alsquackery.com/muscovy

https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Musc/BRKScobies.html

That third one is much more in-depth. Truly fascinating! Until I can find a source of Rippled and Lavenders, I'll be concentrating on Blues, Silvers, Lilacs, Chocolates, and Buffs in solid, pied, and with Barred. I also have some Atipico ducklings and am looking forward to seeing how they'll look as adults!

Sorry, I tend to go on when talking about Muscovy genetics and breeding, lol!
Unfortunately that chocolate cap in the front is one of the extra drakes. x,D I cried big when he hissed.

Ultimately what I’d love to do in the future is replace my pied drake with a lavender and, when the personable black capped fellow dies or stops being useful, find myself a nice chocolate drake or some other lovely colored male. We don’t have many breeders of the different colors around these parts so I will have to slowly add more color to the flock over time.

Unfortunately that chocolate cap in the front is one of the extra drakes. x,D I cried big when he hissed.

Ultimately what I’d love to do in the future is replace my pied drake with a lavender and, when the personable black capped fellow dies or stops being useful, find myself a nice chocolate drake or some other lovely colored male. We don’t have many breeders of the different colors around these parts so I will have to slowly add more color to the flock over time.
Awww, what a shame!

I'm in the same situation. There is nowhere in Canada that I can locate Lavender! If you're in the States and don't mind flying one over, I'm sure @CaliFarmsAR can help.

I lucked out and got some beautiful Blues from someone online. And a surprise Barred. And tomorrow, I'm getting more ducklings from her.

I warned you, this is addictive!

Awww, what a shame!

I'm in the same situation. There is nowhere in Canada that I can locate Lavender! If you're in the States and don't mind flying one over, I'm sure @CaliFarmsAR can help.

I lucked out and got some beautiful Blues from someone online. And a surprise Barred. And tomorrow, I'm getting more ducklings from her.

I warned you, this is addictive!
Oh gosh, boy do I know it’s addictive. xD My husband is already “I thought you only wanted a couple….” Well that was yesterday. xD

Here’s our two designated survivors. The yellows flecks are the fermented feed that /somebody/, cough pied lad, decided it would be fun to bathe in.

Attachments

• 3D681683-D896-49D0-A10D-30C34C9143BD.jpeg
    3D681683-D896-49D0-A10D-30C34C9143BD.jpeg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 365190F0-708F-4158-8672-1F4A799A135C.jpeg
    365190F0-708F-4158-8672-1F4A799A135C.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 3
So glad you decided to keep both! Are you just going to let them loose with the hens, or selectively breed them?

I, ah, picked up fourteen more yesterday...

That's it for this year! I swear!

Back
Top Bottom