Muscovy Incubation, by Broody or Incubator

They seem to take turns and totally random but I show my ducks for a better name I have a pure white male Muscovy what should I do to make him like bleach white

My first two muscovies are currently sitting. There were some challenges initially as they learned how to sit on a nest, and I learned what sort of situation they would need, but I'm hopeful that we'll get some ducklings in a couple weeks.

Both are sitting in a set of chicken nest boxes which are raised off the floor by about 16 inches. The 'scovy mamas climb up a block and a bucket to get in and out. Once the chicks hatch, will they need to leave and re-enter the nest? Or will the ducks likely move to the floor with them for overnights? They are housed in a coop with nice dry shavings on the floor, but there are 8 production red chickens and a muscovy drake in there with them.

Thanks!

Jim

fl.gif
for you!

Were do you buy lemon eucalyptus oil?
Sure will. When I checked on them last, she must have rolled the pipped one over because I couldn't see it. Everything I know from incubating the pipped side should be up. I sure hope she knows what she is doing, lol. Given my Muscovy hatch rate in the incubator I am not going to give her any advice, lol
fl.gif
It will be interesting to see what colors I get. She went broody within a week of me getting her. She was with some chocolate drakes. Bob, black pied, is the only drake of breeding age here. Of course, it's always interesting to me to see what colors little ones are.

I'm an Amazon/Ebay shopper, but I suppose you could check out Target and Walmart. You might actually have better luck with Walmart.

Very exciting, Ren! I bet you'll get some blues and blacks. But who knows what recessive genes are hanging around.

she has been sitting for a week. I saw a couple fertile eggs and will see what comes out of this
fl.gif

thumbsup.gif
Congrats!!!
Thanks, FOUR so far as I can tell. Geess, I'm scared to death of getting tagged by this momma. I've worked with horses, cattle and dogs but nothing scares me like this girl does, lol
hide.gif
I hope to get better pictures later.

They seem to take turns and totally random but I show my ducks for a better name I have a pure white male Muscovy what should I do to make him like bleach white
Is he a house duck? If not, making him bleach white is impossible.
My first two muscovies are currently sitting. There were some challenges initially as they learned how to sit on a nest, and I learned what sort of situation they would need, but I'm hopeful that we'll get some ducklings in a couple weeks.

Both are sitting in a set of chicken nest boxes which are raised off the floor by about 16 inches. The 'scovy mamas climb up a block and a bucket to get in and out. Once the chicks hatch, will they need to leave and re-enter the nest? Or will the ducks likely move to the floor with them for overnights? They are housed in a coop with nice dry shavings on the floor, but there are 8 production red chickens and a muscovy drake in there with them.

Thanks!

Jim
The babies will need a ramp to leave and re-enter.
fl.gif
for successful brooding and happy hatching.

Thanks!

Jim

Ducks and chickens drive me nuts. I find they do whatever they want to do. If she seems content staying in the nest box you could build something more duckling accessible like a ramp. She might just move them to the floor, too. Hard to say with the drake and chickens moving around. You could also cut a hole in a sterilite bin large enough for her and the growing ducklings and keep it on the floor. She might move into that and will be better protected. Or, of course, separate her and the little ones.

They are HERE !! 5 sweet littles!!

Awesome!

x2 with what Ren said.

Also, give it a bit more time than a week to check for fertile eggs. I TRY to wait 10-14 days.

wee.gif
4 so far and one pipped out of 20. OMG, this is SOOOOO much easier than trying to incubate them myself. I took the hits (not so bad after all. But poor Blanche. I'm really bothering her.) and got a pic...

OMG... look at the tail on the one bottom right
love.gif
I think there are 5 now.

Last edited:
wee.gif
4 so far and one pipped out of 20. OMG, this is SOOOOO much easier than trying to incubate them myself. I took the hits (not so bad after all. But poor Blanche. I'm really bothering her.) and got a pic...

OMG... look at the tail on the one bottom right
love.gif
I think there are 5 now.
Look at those precious ones.. Looks like your going to have different colors too. Mama looks very intense lol

My oldest scovy is 9yrs and she was on an egg this morning I had to take it from her she latched onto my skin on the back of my hand and twisted I didn't think I'd ever get her loose.

Look at those precious ones.. Looks like your going to have different colors too. Mama looks very intense lol

My oldest scovy is 9yrs and she was on an egg this morning I had to take it from her she latched onto my skin on the back of my hand and twisted I didn't think I'd ever get her loose.
Thank you, I can't wait to see all of the colors. That's one of the many things that I find so fascinating about Muscovies.

OUCH'eee, she meant business. I hope it doesn't leave a mark. And, I was feeling beaten up by just taking strikes
roll.png
I hope Blanche doesn't learn that trick.

Okay. He is an outside duck. And when he takes a bath he is like new but rolls around in mud lol. It's like he tries to piss me off!!!

Back
Top Bottom