Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Ok this is my first time having a broody hen period in the 2 years ive been doing the birds. What part do I ned to do when my muscovy hen is sitting? I think it's been about a week.

Ok this is my first time having a broody hen period in the 2 years ive been doing the birds. What part do I ned to do when my muscovy hen is sitting? I think it's been about a week.
As long as she is in a secure building no a thing yet. once ducklings begin to hatch you might want to put up temp fencing around her area so she has a couple days or longer I do it longer more like 3 weeks to get the ducklings strong and going good. She'll want to bring them outside after they all hatch usually on day 2-3 that's the critical point if she is with the rest of the flock, little ones don't always know to stay up and can be left vulnerable to the rest of the flock. Good luck and look forward to seeing some littles.Make sure she has food and water clsoe by but not inside that way when she goes outside to eat and drink and bathe she does her nasty broody poop out there too. Phew Wee.

Last edited:
Oh that she does. She sits all day till around 6 or so, then comes out, eats, bathes, ect. Then she's right back in there. Now she is with the other ducks, but in a dog house. The only way I can seperate is by moving the dog house into the coop without the lid and keep her in there. Should I do that now or wait?

Oh that she does. She sits all day till around 6 or so, then comes out, eats, bathes, ect. Then she's right back in there. Now she is with the other ducks, but in a dog house. The only way I can seperate is by moving the dog house into the coop without the lid and keep her in there. Should I do that now or wait?
Not necessarily if you can put her inside where she will have some privacy when they begin to hatch or right before she should be okay for now, Last year one of my ducks went broody inside the goose house so I moved her and some eggs into a dog crate in my feed room about 3 days before hatch I moved her to the small coop I had put temp fencing around so she could hatch in peace and have plenty of privacy when the ducklings hatched she didn't mind the move at all because she stayed right inside her crate the whole time i just carried her inside of it to the nursery coop. It's when you bodily move them from the nest that you can get into trouble. So it's up to you.

Not necessarily if you can put her inside where she will have some privacy when they begin to hatch or right before she should be okay for now, Last year one of my ducks went broody inside the goose house so I moved her and some eggs into a dog crate in my feed room about 3 days before hatch I moved her to the small coop I had put temp fencing around so she could hatch in peace and have plenty of privacy when the ducklings hatched she didn't mind the move at all because she stayed right inside her crate the whole time i just carried her inside of it to the nursery coop. It's when you bodily move them from the nest that you can get into trouble. So it's up to you. 

she has no peace where she is all ducks have access. The only way she can have any peace is if I put her in the coop by herself with the eggs

Ok well I moved her and put the hen she has been with since little with her so she doesnt get too nervous. I see her in the nest with penny and penny doesnt mind too much. After a while we will remove her if need be, unless she will play a mother roll, they are both muscovies. They are sitting on 12 eggs

Oh yeah muscovy duck fact for the day! Muscovy duck males know when they have babies even when they've never seen them before!! One of my males in the cage today that was injured a while back , anyway he hasn't seen his babies since they were a week or so old because I took them outside an he looked over them while they were with me. Anyway I took them in the rehabilitation cage today just to see if tha was true and they're almost 2 months old now an he remembered them! He cooed over them and stuff but the male babies were quite displeased and true to fight him but he isn't fight them back then my smallest girl started to try to fight with her dad and she jumped all the way a foot above him and landed on his back and she's tiny ! And he still didn't fight back so. I found tht the fact was true male muscovies remember their children even If they've never seen them or in this case a month and a few week

Back
Top Bottom