Muscovy keepers share your pics!

So... My girls are all laying in the one box and they're now up to 20+ eggs. The box is FULL and they aren't either interested in laying in the new boxes we made them OR going broody.
What do I do? This is driving me batty with anticipation!!
They've started pushing several into a new pile in the corner of thier box but there just isn't room.
Plus some of these eggs are getting close to 30 days old so surely they can't still be viable?
Help please! Can I do anything to promote nesting?
Get that number down to half it's size, all old eggs go those really nasty ones, that to me is over doing especially for first time broody's. I usually give first timers about 4-5 eggs to start with. Then next season they get more.

Also I have noticed that males don't prefer white head females because in the wild it's a bad mutation for them so if u get a male to mate with a white head even when they're is a female without a white head then your lucky ( I dont know if that made since)
Not in my experience. I have both types here, i even run different breeds with mine.

Little Muscovy babies
smile.png
so cute!

Has anyone had experience with female muscovies that only hiss? Or do all female muscovies make the classic female noises? Thanks
yes, and the females do hiss... that said she was capable of making other noises she just usually chose to hiss lol are you trying to sex a scovie?

Get that number down to half, all old eggs go those nasty ones, that to me is over doing especially for first time broody's. I usually give first timers about 4-5 eggs to start with. Then next season they get more. 

Do I just keep taking their eggs leaving the five or so freshest all the time and eventually someone will go broody? They really don't seem at all interested:-(

Do I just keep taking their eggs leaving the five or so freshest all the time and eventually someone will go broody? They really don't seem at all interested:-(
You just never know when broodiness will strike but having Muscovy's it will so keep around 8-10 eggs in there and when one starts sitting then take out some of the oldest so the clutch isn't too much for first time mama. You decide how many you want her to hatch, once she commits full time to brooding she'll not even realize all the eggs she started on aren't there if you remove them while she is out running around eating drinking pooping and chasing everyone with her sumo wrestler pose going. on.

so cute!

yes, and the females do hiss... that said she was capable of making other noises she just usually chose to hiss lol are you trying to sex a scovie?

Yes, I am trying to sex my muscovy. I attempted vent sexing and it was pretty inconclusive. I didn't see a definite penis so it may still be a girl. However, it only hisses and I have never heard another sound (granted I rarely hear a hiss either since she/he is so quiet overall). It is rather confusing.

My female was hissing until she was about 6 months old. By that time I knew she was female because of the size. She then started mating and laying. She now makes the sweetest little chirp noises.

Smooshy at 1 weeks or so.

Smooshy in her first role as surrogate.

Smooshy today in her second role as surrogate, She is sitting on eggs that are hers and the other misc domestics I have.

My female was hissing until she was about 6 months old. By that time I knew she was female because of the size. She then started mating and laying. She now makes the sweetest little chirp noises.

Smooshy at 1 weeks or so.

Smooshy in her first role as surrogate.

Smooshy today in her second role as surrogate, She is sitting on eggs that are hers and the other misc domestics I have.

Adorable pictures! It's good to know that Smooshy didn't start chirping until 6 months. My muscovy is about 7 months, so it is possible that the chirping is just about to start
celebrate.gif

My female was hissing until she was about 6 months old. By that time I knew she was female because of the size. She then started mating and laying. She now makes the sweetest little chirp noises. Smooshy at 1 weeks or so. Smooshy in her first role as surrogate. Smooshy today in her second role as surrogate, She is sitting on eggs that are hers and the other misc domestics I have.
That is one of the most cutest babies I've ever seen !
1f631.png

Back
Top Bottom